forty.

CHAPTER FORTY:
NIGHT OF DISASTERS.
*trigger warning*
some sensitive topics will be briefly discussed or hinted. this includes shy mentions of abuse and ptsd.

the floor of what was known as indianapolis high school's gym was covered in small chunks of red and black glitter, music blaring so loud it made the small wooden planks vibrate underneath the groups feet. there were multiple tables spread out across the large room, each of the black covered rounds showcasing a range of red and white roses in the center of their cloths. across the ceiling, various different silky fabrics hung draped with strings of small led lights tangled up in between them, the tiny bulbs twinkling underneath the sheer cloth like stars in a blood red sky.

there was absolutely no denying that whoever was involved in eleanor's student council had truly outdone themselves with these prom decorations.

"holy shit." the raven haired boy mumbled as they ventured further into the sultry atmosphere, the group slowly starting to catch the attention of eleanor's senior class. the small girl tried to ignore their wandering eyes, smiling shyly as she gently squeezed mike's hand. "i'm being serious. this place looks fucking insane."

"i have to agree with lover boy." the preppy brunette next to the couple nodded his head before smirking, "how many times do you think grace brady blew mr. harrington for this one?"

eleanor rolled her eyes playfully at brandon's comment, clinging closer to her boyfriend as they finally settled themselves down at an empty table. they each dispersed into their own conversations, the group chatting away and enjoying each others company without a care in the world towards who was around them. truly, eleanor couldn't have asked for better people to spend her night to remember with.

however, she couldn't help but to notice how many of her peers were looking over at them... more specifically mike.

her insides twisted uncomfortably before dropping down to the bottom of her stomach. she had never felt this way towards him before, so alert and protective. besides, it was pretty well known information that mike was the jealous and obsessed one in this relationship.

but sitting there in a room full of all her beautiful classmates and seemingly annoyed dates who just couldn't seem take their eyes off him...

the idea of shipping him to the next country is sounding exquisite right about now.

"hey." her boyfriend's sweet voice interrupted her thoughts, the raven haired boy bumping his nose against hers in order to gain her attention. she wouldn't be even slightly surprised if he was sporting her glittery highlighter now. "do you wanna dance?"

the small girl giggled against him, the feeling stirring at the bottom of her stomach subsiding the second she felt his breath tickle the brim of her cupid's bow. however, once she registered his question she couldn't help to let her honey orbs drift to the floor, her left heel swirling the glitter chunks scattered underneath their table back and forth. "i - don't know how."

"well it's a good thing dancing has no rules, right?" mike merely stated before gently grasping her hand and leading her up onto her feet.

the raven haired boy carefully maneuvered them through the scattered groups of people, clearly oblivious to the overwhelming amount of attention being thrown their way before finding a nice empty space for them on the dance floor.