A Late Night Walk to the Graves

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

The readings were finished and Mindy had just asked Mrs. Peters if they could go get food. To be honest Bree hadn't even realized how hungry she was until Mindy mentioned food. Mrs. Peters started to suggest they go and meet Mrs. Weiss and her students at a cafe they were going to when Conner interrupted.
"Mrs. Peters!" He said, catching the Book Huggers off guard. "Can I just go back to the hotel? I'm not feeling very well and I think I need to lie down for a bit."
Mrs. Peters looked disappointed at first, but considering the very pale look he had on his face she agreed, and they all piled into the van waiting for them. It looked like Conner couldn't handle the wait and looked as if he was going to try a few dry heaves to speed it up. Fortunately he didn't actually throw up. When they got to the hotel Conner raced out of the car and into the hotel, without letting anyone say goodbye first.

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

When they got back to the hotel, Bree was spent. The Book Huggers had asked her to translate everything Mrs. Weiss' students had said to them. Eventually it had gotten to be to much, and she had taken a fifteen minute bathroom break just to get away from them.
Bree and the Book Huggers got onto the elevator with Mrs. Peters and went to their rooms. The entire ride up was painful, even torture. The Book Huggers just wouldn't shut up about meeting international students from a different country. Unfortunately the pain didn't stop there. When she got into her room her phone was dead, and the only outlet was being used by Mindy and Cindy. So she had to sit there, listening to them fangirl for forever(we let the world pass by, for forever, this way, sorry. Dear Evan Hansen anyone?)
Fortunately for her, she heard some talking upstairs and walked over to the window to hear Conner better.
"Ugh, why won't Alex answer this thing? I've been trying to call her all day, and no response!" He half yelled. ^What? He didn't have a phone. Yet again, he was talking about some communication device that no one else knew about that he had. And Alex, like his sister in Vermont Alex, was supposed to answer this thing? Huh?!? So many unanswered questions!^
She heard him walk over to his door, open it, then close it. Bree's curiosity got the best of her and she walked out of her own door, despite the questions she got from the Book Huggers. She walked down the hallway to the stairs and pressed her head up against the door. She heard Conner's footsteps go down the stairs, and once he was a flight down from hers, she entered the stairwell.
She walked down the stairs slowly, as not to raise alarm to Conner that someone else was there. Apparently he was not aware of his surroundings, as she got to only a few stairs behind him, and he never turned around to look at her. He seemed to be completely lost in thought.
He walked out of the stairwell on the main level and Bree waited a good minute before she followed him out the door into the crowded lobby. She saw him at the other side of the long lobby walking out the door and turning to his right. She briskly walked across the lobby, ignoring the looks she got from a few people, and walked out the door.
She looked to her right and saw Conner a good ways down the road. ^Wow. He was a very fast walker.^ She walked at a very quick pace, and sometimes she would break into a slight jog, and caught up with him about ten minutes later. He had turned down a couple more side streets, apparently having a destination in mind. It was raining at that point, and was almost pitch black.
A good hour later later they arrived at the cemetery. ^Why would he want to be here? Unless this had something to do with that third story that was told that day, maybe.^
He stopped at the gate and just looked at it for a minute before entering the cemetery. He walked over to the graves of the Brothers Grimm and stopped in his tracks. Bree walked around him while he was gazing at the graves, and hid behind a tree directly to the right of the graves.
"So that was some story," he said to the graves. "Was there anything else you failed to mention? Were there any clues you forgot to include?" He asked, sounding pretty frustrated.
The rain increased and so did the frustration in Conner's voice as he titled his head up to the sky and said, "What army is approaching the fairytale world? Where did it come from? Are my grandmother and sister in danger? Please, I need to know," Conner said, his head still titled up to the sky, as if it could help.
^What?!?! He actually admitted some useful information for Bree to know about his sister, and his life. He just said that his grandmother and sister, Alex, lived in a fairytale world that he had probably been to before, and that the third story that was read that day was actually a warning for this certain fairytale world. Hold up. Way to much information was said in one minute than she could process in a week. Well, than she had actually ever processed in a week that is. She had never had something this big and exciting happen in her life. I mean, everyone dreams of this stuff happening to them, but it was actually happening to her, right now.^
She suddenly realized that Conner was walking away from the graves and that he was her ticket back to the hotel. She quickly dodged from tree to tree, barely avoiding Conner's gaze a few times. She made it back to the hotel, with a loose follow on Conner the whole time, trying to make out the information that she was just given.
Well, she actually, probably, definitely, wasn't supposed to hear that. I mean she just followed a boy from her school to a cemetery in Germany and learned that he was connected to a fairytale world that his sister and grandmother lived in. Not weird or out of the ordinary at all. Sure.
She waited in the lobby way after Conner had gone up the stairs to make sure that he had no chance of seeing her. I mean, first of all, she followed him practically stalking him for a couple of hours, and second, she just overheard the biggest secret he probably had. Well, considering that his sister and grandmother lived in a fairytale world, she had no idea if that was his biggest secret. It might not be, he could be part bird or something. Probably not, but there is always a chance.
She figured that Conner was probably already in his room and dry by now, and she could chance going up the stairs. She walked over to the stairwell door and stopped after she had opened the door. She saw the shadow of Conner on the first landing. That meant that he was on the second staircase in the stairwell, which also meant that he could see her shadow. But, considering that his shadow showed him sitting down with his head bowed, he probably couldn't. She was about to walk up to him when she stopped dead in her tracks, he was crying. Oh no. This was about his sister and grandmother being in danger wasn't it? No, she couldn't handle this. She put her hair in a bun under her beanie and pulled her hood farther over her head, so it was covering her entire face. Now he wouldn't recognize her.
She walked up the stairs one at a time, making her walking pattern much slower than her normal one, so he wouldn't suspect anything. She got up to his landing and walked right past him without saying a word. As she passed him, she saw his face. Not only was he very wet, his eyes were already bloodshot. He must really care for his sister.
As she walked up the rest of the stairs her heart ached. Not for Conner, but for someone to love her like that. She wished that she had sisters and parents that loved her like that. She knew she would never be loved like that by any boy in the future, and the thought saddened her. She wished that one day she could have a boyfriend or husband like him. Someone who comforted her when she was sad or feeling down, and someone to cry for that she truly loved. But unfortunately that was never going to happen.
She arrived at the room to her door when she reached that thought in her mind. But she pushed her thoughts away, ignored Mindy and Cindy's piercing looks on her, got ready for bed, and got in bed to fall asleep. But she didn't get that wish granted. She just lay there with the image of Conner's face in the stairwell. She was pretty sure that the image was ingrained into her memory for forever. Great. Another reminder of what she would never have.

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

THANKS FOR READING!!!
BYE BOOK-HUGGERS!!!
TLOSGEEK2-OUT!!!