The Gang Regroups Again, but Under More Serious Conditions (5th Book!)

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

"Bree? Emmerich?" Conner asked in shock.  "What are you doing here?"

My mind started racing.  ^I didn't realize he was going to be here.  And on top of the serious threat standing on the other side of room, my heart was also worried about him being here.  Mushy, I know, but even after all the time we had spent apart, my feelings still persisted.  And, since I liked him, that everything that was happening ten times worse. ^

"Conner!" I said frantically.  "I didn't know you would be here, too!"

"Bree, what are you guys doing here?" he asked, his eyes full of concern.  "Is something wrong?"

Even though everything I had ever told myself about crying in front of people was screaming at me not to, I broke down in tears.  "I'm so sorry," I cried.  "I didn't want to bring him, but I had no choice."

The doors slammed shut behind Conner and his friends and his family.  Conner and the others whipped around to come to face-to-face with the Masked Man.  My worst nightmare had come true. 

"They said you were dead," Conner said, his voice unsurprisingly steady. 

"I've lived to seize another day," the Masked Man said with glee.  "Sorry to disappoint you."

Conner looked at his mom and his eyes changed from anger to worry.  "Mom, this man isn't dad," he said and I realized that she hadn't met him.  "It's his younger brother, Lloyd.  He's a criminal from the fairy-tale world, don't believe a word he says-"

"I know who he is, Conner," Charlotte said.  "Your father told me all about him before you were born. I'm sorry you know about him. Your father never wanted you to find out you were related to such a horrible person."

"You're not the only person he's related to, Conner," I said.  "Emmerich is the Masked Man's son- the one he had with Little Bo Peep!"

Conner looked like someone had slapped him, and I realized that everything was getting dumped on him all at once, but this wasn't even the half of everything that had happened while we had been apart. 

"I guess that makes us cousins," Emmerich said. 

"This has turned into quite the family affair," the Masked Man said.  "But I'm afraid it won't be remembered as a pleasant one."

"What do you want from us?" Conner growled. 

The Masked Man grunted.  "Teenagers,"  he sneered.  "You think both worlds revolve around you.  To be frank, dear nephew, you're of no use to me."

"Then what do you want with Alex?" Conner asked. 

"He's not here for your sister, either" I said, and realized the tears had subsided and been replaced with freezing fear.  "He's come to the hospital to take your mom!"

"Me?" Charlotte asked.  "What could you possibly want with me?"

"I'm in need of an Otherworld nurse," the Masked Man said.  "You see, the medical knowledge of the fairy-tale world isn't as advanced as it is here, and I need a complicated procedure done."

Goldilocks moaned from a corner of the room were she was leaning against the wall for support.  After closer inspection, I realized she was pregnant, more specifically in labor.  ^Oh, no.^

"This woman is about to have a baby," Charlotte said.  "Please, we need to get her to a doctor immediately."

"What a coincidence, I'm in need of a lift out of the hospital," the Masked Man said.  "I thought I'd have to give the old woman here a bullet wound to do it, but seems like the mother-to-be is perfect."