Chapter 2 Stuck in an Elevator

I was almost finished with the music video.  I had completed the studio shots, spent a weekend in the Hamptons doing the beach scenes and would be joining the crew  two days from now for the final shoot upstate.  This afternoon I was meeting Janice and Jenny at Marcie's office for a meeting to discuss an upcoming interview that would be tied with the release of the music video and then get the final details on the fashion show the following week.  Yeah, I still did the catwalk, it was part of two of my biggest contracts, so for now, I had no choice. 

"Hold the elevator!" I called as ran through the lobby.    I could see someone casually leaning against the back wall, his arms crossed over his chest and even his feet crossed over one another, his head aimed down looking at his feet.  He didn't make a move to hold the door, but luckily I was able to grab the door before it closed.   I let out a huff of annoyance as I turned my attention to the tall blond man.  He looked to be about my age, had long blond wavy hair in that unkempt almost grunge look.  My gaze went up and down taking him in.  Yeah, he looked cute, had a nice body, but he obviously didn't care about himself.  Old ripped jeans, probably dirty, the vintage boots were pretty cool, but couldn't he have taken the time to tie them all the way.  A faded plain grey t-shirt and signature Ray-ban aviator sunglasses.   I mean, you're in an elevator, take the sunglasses off dude. 

I hit the button for the third floor and leaned against the side, looking down at my feet as well.  An uncomfortable silence filled the small space. 

"Uh, sorry," he finally muttered as he adjusted his feet, "I..uh, wasn't paying attention." 

"No problem," I replied dully. 

The elevator started to ascend when all of a sudden we could hear a grinding sound and then suddenly the elevator came to an abrupt stop, the light flickering off and only a dim safety light remained. 

"Ah shit," I grumbled as I tried pressing the button to open the door, with nothing happening.  "It won't open," I smacked the wall and swallowed an expletive, "how long are we going to have to sit here in the dark."  I pulled out my cellphone and quickly called Marcie, she knew who owned the building and could call for assistance. 

I turned around toward the wall as the phone rang, a weird habit people have I've noticed when talking on a cellphone.  Like, if they turn around they suddenly have some privacy.  "Mara, put Marcie on," I said sharply into the phone.  "Marcie, I'm stuck in the damn elevator in your building, can you call the manager and tell him to get someone here pronto!"  Marcie assured me she'd get right on it, and I hung up the phone letting out another frustrated sigh.  I turned around and noticed the blond guy on a cellphone as well. 

"Blake.  I was just on my way up but the elevator stopped.  I'm fine.  Listen, we can't get the doors open, can you call Mac and ask him to get down here right away.  Didn't he just inspect it last month?  Well it isn’t fine obviously, tell him to get his ass down here.  Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine, just call him.  Mhm…bye." 

"You know the owner of the building?" I asked.   

"Yeah, I do.  We're quite close," he chuckled. "Well, it might be a while so we might as well sit down and make ourselves comfortable.  My name's Elliott by the way," he said as he sat himself down against the wall. 

I looked around, as if expecting a more comfortable alternative to materialize.  I finally plopped down opposite of him.  "Nice to meet you Elliott." 

Again, the awkward silence until finally Elliott chimed in.  "And you are…." 

Now it was my turn to chuckle, "Oh, you don't know?" 

"Should I?" He asked. 

I looked him up and down, his clothes said thrift shop, and I realized, that no, he probably wouldn't know.  "Sorry, I'm David."  I'm not used to having to introduce myself, usually people recognize me and immediately start talking to me as if they somehow know me just from looking at my pictures.  I held my hand out to shake his, but Elliott didn't make a move to return the gesture.  I finally cleared my throat and he seemed to startle and after a pause he reached his hand out part way.  I leaned myself forward so I could reach him and shook his large hand.  I noticed that the skin on his hand was rough and calloused, as if he did manual labor or something, which surprise me since I'm used to meeting people, both men and women, with finely manicured hands and soft skin.  He had a strong grip too and I would be lying if I didn't admit that the feel of his hand was sexy, I liked his strong, masculine grip and rough, but warm hand.