Chapter 9 Two Eggs Over Easy

(Photo to the right is Emma)

 Chapter 9

David

"David!"  I walked into Kaley's at just after 10:00 the next morning after getting Elliott's text earlier that Emma was on the 8:30am train from Cold Spring Harbor.  The excited voice shouting to me was the young blond beauty herself.  She got up and met me halfway to their table and I gave her a big hug.

"Thank you!" I whispered in her ear.

"It worked!" She squeaked back.  "He said you had a really good date, like, better than good, great!"

"I hear you guys mumbling over there," Elliott called over.

"I'm just asking your sister how her date went," I chuckled and took the remaining steps until I was next to the other blond beauty.  I put my hand on his left shoulder, "Good morning Elliott," I said with a squeeze.

He reached up and patted my hand.  "Good morning David."  Elliott was dressed in a nice pair of dark jeans, ones that actually fit him instead of the loose and baggy ones I was used to seeing him in and a black sweater.  "She was just about to fill me in too.  Go ahead Emma."

"What?" She said as she sat down.  "We went to see a band called 'Do or Diatribe'."

"On a Monday night?" Elliott asked skeptically.

"They're not really that good and that was the only night they could get the venue.  Sean knows the bassist."  She looked at me with a big smile.  "Besides, I left you in good hands."

"It's not me I'm worried about, I'm not so sure about this Sean guy.  I thought he was going out with someone."

"They broke up.  Teenagers date, Elliott, it's normal.  You can't keep me locked up forever."

"You're my baby sister, it's my job to protect you from jerks," Elliott said so sincerely it almost made me melt into my seat.  It was actually fascinating watching them together.  Not having a sibling it was new to me and I felt a pang of sadness that I never had anything like this.

"Sean's not a jerk!  You've never even met him!  David, will you tell him to stop."  She looked at me with a pout on her face, her big blue eyes flashing almost angrily.

"Um…maybe you should meet him first and check him out?" I suggested.

"Yes!  We can have a big family dinner next weekend, you can bring David and Blake can bring Laura!  But you have to be nice to him Elli."

"If you think I’m bad, Blake's going to be 10 times worse," Elliott cautioned. 

"Yes, but David and Laura will be there to mediate."

Just then a waitress, not Laura came over to take our orders.  "Where's Laura," I asked after she left, "and Blake."

"They have classes today," Elliott answered.

After a hearty breakfast and Emma telling me more than I ever wanted to know about the hectic life of a teenage girl, Elliott announced that he needed to get to his studio to finish a sculpture that was going into the lobby of a law office in a few weeks.  It was a piece that had been curing and just needed a final application of the glossy type coating that protected the outer surface of the clay.  I had just come back from the men's room, really an excuse so I could pay the bill before he could object. 

Emma was going to go to Elliott's apartment to straighten up and do his laundry and as the three of us walked to Elliott's studio I asked them both if they would like to have dinner at my place that night.  Emma said she was taking the 5:00pm train back home as she had school the next morning, but Elliott accepted my invitation.