Chapter 8 Dinner and a Movie

Chapter 8

David

It was Monday afternoon.  At Emma's recommendation I hadn't tried to go see Elliott again for the rest of the weekend, she said that Blake would be with him at the studio, but that he had a full load of classes from the noon until 10:00pm on Mondays.

I stood on the sidewalk just outside the stairs down to the subway.  It was 5:35pm and just as Emma promised, I could see Elliott walking down towards me.  He was alone and he was using a cane, I could hear it tapping on the ground as he checked his path ahead of him.  People moved to the side to give him space and I could see the afternoon sun reflecting off his soft golden hair.  If I could just run my fingers through those locks, it would make my day.  Hell, it would make my week!

Just as she explained, when he got to a bench that was approximately 25 paces from the sidewalk on his right, he paused, as if making sure no one was sitting there and then sat down, folding up the cane and putting it down a long side pocket in his cargo pants.  He crossed his legs, looked up to the bright sky, his Ray-Bans in place, leaned his head back and let the sun's rays warm his face.  I watched him pull out his phone and press a button as I walked closer and heard an electronic voice say "five thirty nine pm."

"Hi Elliott."

Elliott looked up, startled.  "David?"

I sat down beside him and watched his body stiffen.  "I'm waiting for Emma," he explained.

"She's not coming."  At his surprised look, I explained.  "She had a date, some guy from her school, a concert that was only tonight…so, you're taking me to the movies instead."

"I don't…I…uh.."

"Elliott, I'm really sorry about…being such a stupid idiot.  I know it was unforgivable, and I probably don't deserve a second chance, but I'm really sorry, and there's nothing more I want to do than get to know you better and maybe you'll see that I'm not as much of a self-centered, self-obsessed moron as I appear to be, I mean, as I come across…"

"She stood me up for some high school kid?" He asked, incredulously.  Wait.  Did he not hear a thing I said?

"Um, yeah.  I guess he's really cute and really smart."

"That Sean kid?"

"She didn't tell me his name."

"It's gotta be that Sean kid.  I thought he was going out with someone…"

"Apparently not.  So what movie are you taking me to?  And do I get popcorn?  I can't watch a movie without popcorn."

"Unbroken, Night at the Museum or Penguins of Madagascar.  And Emma and I always share a large popcorn and we put a package of M&M's in it."

"Really?"

"Yep.  It's delicious…a little salty, a little sweet.  You don't have any underwear shoots coming up do you?"

"No, I'm off for 3 months."

"Okay, then you can have some.  But only if you eat a healthy dinner first.  Emma likes to go to this Italian place 2 blocks from the theatre.  Come on," he said, standing up.  He held his hand out for me.  I took it, happy to feel his strong grip and rough skin against my own again.  "I'll show you the way."  His voice was warm and…the only word I could think of was forgiving.  I sighed with relief and stood up.

I didn't know this area too well as my apartment was in a different part of Brooklyn and I'd never been to Bushwick until Marcie had moved her offices here, so I let Elliott take the lead as we walked back the way he came.