Chapter 14

Justin's P.O.V.

    I can't believe what I just did. I left Selena there with just a stupid simple goodbye on a stupid piece of paper. I didn't think I was that pathetic! I can't even face someone, like a man should, to say farewell.

"Stupid, stupid," I mumble to myself as I hit my forehead on the steeling wheel.

    I'm sitting in my car in a super market parking lot. A feeling is taking over me: regret. I didn't want to regret it but I can't help what I feel. Did I just make a hug mistake? Because it sure feels like it.

    I close my eyes and picture her laughing. I can still hear her beautiful contagious laugh in my head. Its as if it is imprinted into my brain. Tears well up in my eyes but I'm quick to wipe them away.

    How could I let myself get so emotionally close to her? I knew she was there by force and I shouldn't have gotten so close. I could see the sadness in her eyes. She missed her home, the good part about it anyways. I wouldn't know how it feels to miss home because I have never left it. I doubt I ever will.

    On our way here, she wouldn't stop going on about her bestfriend, Demi. She went on about how Demi was not only her bestfriend but her only true friend. Apparently, they went on adventures in the hallways of their school. Their friendship story is actually nice. Selena saved Demi from a bunch of bullies in first grade.

    Oh, I could listen to that girl talk all day. It wouldn't even matter if it made sense or not. As long as she had a smile on her flawless face, I would listen happily.

    The sky is only gonna get darker as my mom gets more worried. I better hurry on home before she sends a search party. Or worse, before my dad notices I'm gone.

    I try not to make so much noise as I enter my house. But the door squeaks.

"Curse you stupid door," I groan.

"Young master," Yolanda, our maid, whispers from behind the stairway.

    What on earth is she doing hiding? Have the police finally come for my dad?!

I quietly and quickly tippy-toe to her. "What's with the whispering?" I ask her.

"Run to the attic as fast as you can and make sure no one sees you, understand? As fats and quietly as you can. Your mother is there waiting for you. Hurry!" She pushes me towards the stairs.

"Wait, what's going on?" The fear is clear in her eyes and I think I already know why.

"Your father is on a rampage. Hurry get to the attic!"

I knew it. "But, Yolanda, where will you go?"

"I'm getting the hell out of here!" She quickly runs out the door.

    My mom . . . the attic! I make a dash up the stairs. Remembering what Yolanda said, I do my best to be sneaky so that I won't get caught by the guards.

    By the time I make it to the attic I feel so light headed, like I might faint. I step into the darkness of the room.

"Justin?" I hear my mom asks.

"Mom?!" I almost yell.

    She tuns over to me and pulls me into one of her big bear hugs. "He's gone completely insane; furious. He'll make you pay this time, I just know he will." I can hear the sadness in her voice. "Take this bag. It has enough money to last you a life time. Take it, leave and never look back. Do you understand me, Justin?!"