Chapter 2

The boys all got up from the dinner table and ran to gather around the pile of gifts that you had gotten them. They were all excitedly passing them out and doing their best to discourage the younger newsies from opening them until you got in there. You stood at the door, waving goodbye as Katherine left from dinner. The look on Jack's face had been priceless when he realized you had invited Katherine to dinner and not Spot like he had expected. You walked in to where the boys were and sat down.

   "What are you boys waitin' on? Open 'em." You said, and the boys instantly started ripping through the newspapers. The room was filled with yells of excitement as they saw their gifts.

   You had gotten a bookmark for Davey, two race tickets for Romeo, a new watch chain for JoJo, a couple of cigars for Race, a jar of buttons for Buttons, and a pair of new glasses frames for Specs. Albert got a new cap on account of him losing his last one the last time he had played a prank on you, Elmer got some books so he could practice his reading, and Mush got a Journal so he could practice his writing. He's been working on getting better at it hoping he can get a job writing for the newspaper once he grows out of the Newsies. You've had Finch's gift since the end of the strike and were going to give it to him for christmas but decided now would be a better time. You remembered back to when everyone was excited about making the front page of the newspaper after the strike and how he fantasized about getting his face on a nickel, and while you couldn't quite get him that, you did get him a carving of the two of you that he could hang on the wall. You got Jack some more high quality paints than the super cheaps ones that he had and Crutchie got a framed photo of the two of you goofing off together.

   "Yes! I can go on a whole shoppin' spree with this much money!", Les yelled, opening his gift and seeing that you had given him some quarters. You laughed, happy he liked it. He always felt more grown up when he had some extra money in his pockets. After the excitement had died down a little and the boys had all thanked you it was almost time for the youngest of the bunch to go to bed. You had started to think that maybe it would be better if you didn't tell anyone anything about you and Spot and just kept dating in secret until Racetrack piped up and asked a question.

   "Say (y/n), what's all these gifts for? Not that we don't appreciate it, but you spent a lot of money and last time I checked it ain't christmas." he said, looking a little confused. Jack looked at you with raised eyebrows, asking about Spot without even saying anything.

   You looked around at how happy the boys all were and sighed. "Alright, everyone come sit around me." you said as the boys all scooted closer. "You all knows how much I loves each and every one of yous, but I ain't been the most truthful lately." you said, not looking any of them in the eyes.

   "Oh no, you's pregnant ain't you? Which one of you was it?!" Racetrack yelled, looking around angrily. You couldn't help but laugh a little about how he was acting.

   "No Race, I ain't pregnant. It ain't anythin' that serious but I knows you boys ain't goin' to be happy with me." You took a deep breath and just decided to go for it. "I's been seein' Spot Conlon for the past 6 months". A hush fell over the room before the boys all broke out smiling and yelling.

   "Oh come on, (y/n)! That ain't no bad news! We's happy for ya, but if he hurts ya he better be ready ta get soaked by all of us." Specs said. You smiled, relieved that the boys weren't mad at you.

   "Thanks you guys, it really means a lot to me. Alright now, you boys get to bed, it's late." Everyone went to bed and you turned to leave when you were met with a hand on your shoulder. You turned to look and see Jack with an extremely angry look on his face. He pointed to a chair and you looked at the ground and walked over to sit down. Crutchie gave you a small good luck smile and pecked Jack on the cheek before leaving you two alone.

   "Ya know (y/n), I thoughts you was smarter than this." he said looking at you. He was trying not to yell but you could hear the strain on his voice. "I really wanted ta give ya the benefit of the doubt, yet here we is havin' this conversation." he glared at you.

   You looked up at him, "Jack I'm sorry. He ain't a bad guy"- he cut you off.

   "Ain't a bad guy? Ain't a bad guy?! Do you know how many times he's hurt me, not to mention how many times he's hurt my newsies? MY family, (y/n)! It's my job to protect these boys and you's sweet on one of the main threats to 'em!" He was yelling at that point.

   You looked at the ground , "I'm serious Jack, he ain't all bad. Of course I know how many times he hurt you and the boys, I's the one that patched you up everytime! And they's my family too you know. Why do you thinks he ain't been soakin' no one recently? I asked him not to and he listened. If anythin' I's helpin' protect the boys!" You gradually got louder and looked up at him with tears in your eyes. He ran a hand through his hair and let out an exasperated sigh.

   "You's so dense, (y/n)! How can you be so stupid, he's usin' ya!" You could see the worry in his eyes but you didn't care. You jumped up and looked at him with tears going down your face.

   "Yous an awful brother Jack Kelly. I'm finally happy, and here you is telling me I's stupid. I ain't stupid Jack and you know it!" You turned and ran out of the building crying. You heard Jack yelling for you but you just kept running. You made your way to the Brooklyn lodging house and climbed up some boxes to Spots window. You could see Spot sitting on his bed. You wiped your eyes so it wasn't obvious you had been crying and knocked on the window to get his attention. He walked over smiling and opened the window.

   "I was startin' ta think yous had forgotten 'bout me sweetheart. Happy anniversary" he said, giving you a quick kiss and helping you into his room. He backed up and looked at you, letting out a breath. "Wowsa, you looks stunnin' doll". You blushed and looked at the floor, sniffling a little. His demeanor suddenly changed and he made you look at him. "What happened? Why you's been cryin'?"

   "I told the boys about us and they was real happy to hear it, but Jack says I'm real stupid for believin' you cares about me. He saids you's usin' me to get closer to the boys." You trailed off a little at the end, almost like you believed it. Spot lifted your chin and wiped your tears.

   "You knows that ain't true. I loves ya, and have since the first day I saw ya, even if you was pushin' Racetrack inta the riva." You both chuckled, remembering that day. You and Race had decided to see who could swim across the fastest and he was scared to jump in saying it was too cold. He pulled you into a hug and kissed the top of your head whispering to you, "As stunnin' as you look in that dress doll, I's exhausted and I know you ain't gonna wanna sleep in it, so why don't we get ya inta one a my shirts, yeah?" you shook your head as an okay and changed into one of his shirts which practically comes down to your knees. You both laid down in his bed and he pulled you close as you drifted off to sleep. The last thing you heard before you were out was "I love ya doll, sleep well"