Giving Thanks

The quarter goes on for another few weeks this way; practice, schoolwork, games, sneaking in dates every now and then, but mostly a whole lot of tired Niall. Luckily, his hard work pays off. The soccer team makes it to the semi-finals with him playing regularly. Niall worries that the team will resent him for suddenly getting so much more playing time as a freshman, but soon he is put at ease when he realizes that his skill is appreciated.

The semi-final game is intense and no one sits down for even a minute. It ends in a heartbreaking loss for us, and Niall is inconsolable for days. His coach assures him, however, that a spot as captain will be reserved if he chooses to come back next year, which of course Niall wholeheartedly agrees to. He perks up significantly--until midterms sneak up on us.

One day in the middle of studying, Niall throws his book down on my desk, making me jump. He lets out a frustrated sigh.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"Let's leave," he says plainly.

"...And do what, exactly?"

"I don't know, anything. I need to spend time with you. I've been so stressed out, we've done nothing but school stuff, and Thanksgiving isn't close enough. I want us to hang out, just us." He stands up and paces back and forth in the small space of my room.

"Thanksgiving is only a week away, and what do you mean? We're hanging out alone right now," I point out.

"But we're studying," he whines. "I want to hang out with you. Please, Ali, I'm dyin' here."

"Oh, I wasn't opposing to ditching the books, I was just pointing out that we're still together," I laugh. "What do you want to do? Beach? Lunch? Shopping?"

"Let's go to the beach! Then we can come home, order takeout, and have the rest of the night in. Sound good?" He's nearly bouncing up and down with excitement.

"Sounds good to me, love." I return a big smile. "I think it's funny that you say come 'home,' but I don't know if you mean my place or your place."

"Well, I was meaning 'home' as in my apartment, but either one is fine with me!" I can tell he doesn't quite get my meaning.

"We can go back to your place, just let me grab some clothes." I change into my bathing suit and some shorts and grab a bag with pajamas and popcorn.

We go down to the beach and spend the day walking around the tide pools. Niall tries to throw a sea snail at me, and in my haste to get away from him I trip over a rock and plop into the water. Niall erupts with laughter, saying I look like Ariel from The Little Mermaid, but stops when he sees that I've cut my foot.

"Shit, Ali, we have to get you home, are you okay?" he asks frantically. "Don't put any weight on your foot, I'll pick you up."

"Niall, I'm fine," I say, brushing him off. "It's just a little cut, I haven't broken it."

Still, he'll hear none of it. He hoists me onto his back and gives me a piggy back ride all the way to the apartment. He lets me walk up the stairs, but insists that I use him for support. Stubborn as I am, I walk ahead of him on my own, but realize my foot hurts more than I thought it did. I gingerly step up to his front door and he scowls at me. I give him an innocent smile, not letting him see me wincing once he turns his back.

"Sit, I'll go get the first aid kit," he orders.

I take a seat on the floor, not wanting to get their couch wet. He comes back in the room and grabs one of the dining room chairs to sit in, then pats his leg for me to put my foot in his lap. I raise it hesitantly--I hate people touching my feet. Plus I'm insanely ticklish.