Chapter 17: Beautiful People Herd Together

Danny's brain spun around with too many inconceivable details from the reality of Native American myths, the existence of supernatural creatures, and the fact that there was a huge war between good and evil taking place in Beacon Hills. All of this had been too much for the teenager, forcing him to slump down in his chair in front of the kitchen table.

"So, you're telling me that these monsters? Skin-walkers? They're roaming the town?" Danny asked Stiles.

"Exactly," Stiles nodded.

His eyes scanned over Derek. "And this guy? Derek Hale is some werewolf...er Spirit Wolf that guards over humans?"

"Ding ding ding! You've just won our door prize, Danny boy!" Stiles raised his hands in the air. "Tell him, what he's won, Johnny!" Placing an imaginary microphone in front of the aningan, Derek swatted his hand away.

"Look Danny," advised Derek. "This is a lot to take in but for your own safety. Stay away from Scott McCall!"

"Oh yeah," Danny rolled his eyes. "He's the Big Bad. The Alpha skin-walker leader! That's going to be hard Derek, especially since he's now the captain of the lacrosse team."

"As long as he doesn't know you're aware of his true identity, then you're safe," added Adrian Harris. "Ignorance can sometimes be your best protection."

"And here I thought you were some boring history teacher," grinned Danny.

Adrian Harris did not find the comment humorous. Luckily, Stiles jumped in.

"Danny, my sister's been bitten by Scott!" Stiles blurted out. "I have to find a way to break this curse before she turns into one of them."

"Stiles, you know I'll help you in any way I can but you're asking a lot of me," Danny sighed. "But if I have to play this game, I'll do it for you."

He ran over his boyfriend and hugged him. Kissing his forehead, Stiles looked down at him with gratitude.

"Thanks Danny," the teen replied. "It's better this way, I swear."

Somewhere inside Derek's soul felt like dying a little. Observing the two boys affectionate with each other made him envious of Danny's devotion to Stiles. He wanted to trade places with the teenage jock and share that same connection with Stiles but realized that was not possible. Swallowing his pain, he brooded for a while before saying something.

"I better get you home before your parents suspect something," suggested Derek.

"But Allison?" Stiles reminded him of missing sister.

"We can't do anything about it now," Derek told him. "It'll be even worse if you both are missing. Allison can't turn completely until she makes her first human kill on the next full moon. Scott won't do anything to jeopardize that especially since he wants her for his mate."

Stiles reluctantly agreed. Kissing Danny goodbye, the teenager along with the Spirit Wolf and the history teacher got in their vehicles and drove home.

The aroma of fire burnt debris and death filled the air. He examined the area. Destroyed settlements were the least of his concerns; the horror that he witnessed as he scanned row upon row of corpses in the open field were just as nightmarish.

In the distance, he heard the triumphant call of white cavalry soldiers riding their troop across the sunset and back into town. That is when he saw the pair. There was no mistaking the long dark hair and green eyes garbed in tribal clothes. Derek Hale symbolized the perfect warrior and the young man wanted to race over and embrace the aningan. Standing next to him was a pale face tribal member with light brown hair. It was Peter Hale.