t w e n t y - t w o

[round one]

"senkhara spoke through hugh?" i panicked as my brother shushed me.

"that must of been seriously scary." amber stated, taking a bite into a cupcake.

"believe me it was." eddie nodded, "we have to get her that mask, and soon, because i don't know what will happen to hugh if we don't get it but i know it's isn't going to be good.

"i know, and we will."

"the thing is." the blonde began, "has anyone else wondered what senkhara is going to do with it, i mean she can hardly wear it as an accessory, i mean she's a ghost."

amber's words then continued to stick in my head and play on replay as the rest of the group carried on speaking.

"i don't really think senkhara is interested in fashion amber."

"who cares what she wants it for?" my brother's voice grew louder. "she asked for the mask and we're going to give it to her. so we can finally be free of this."

we had all finished eating within ten minutes and gone upstairs to practice sennet when patricia wanted to go and have a word with joy so we began without her.

"hey how's it going?" patricia asked entering the room.

"it's going okay, just trying to get past the gods without landing on one of these danger squares." fabian announced. "and if you land on one of those you lose a life."

"mentally speaking, we hope."

"fabian's manger to get past them twice out of four times." alfie braised the brunette boy beside him.

"great so we have a fifty, fifty chance of suffering."

"or a fifty, fifty chance of getting over the board and retrieving the mask." fabian attempted to lift the mood.

"we have to go down tonight." my brother ordered chicken gaining many odd looks from the rest of us.

"no we aren't ready!" amber protested,

my voice was low, "we're as ready as we'll ever be."

"and we're running out of time!" eddie began, "for hugh, for me, for all of us."

later that night the six of us snuck downstairs passed w sleeping victor in his office. alfie, patricia, eddie and i all stood in front of the board with fabian sat in the high chair with the rules in front of him and amber stood to his left.

"right, let the game begin." fabian announced, looking down at us all, clearly worried for our safety. "here's how it works. the guards are our opponents, first we make our move, then it's their turn."

"and how do they move exactly?" alfie asked the boy sat up high.

"we don't know, yet." fabian answered, alfie's face dropped in fear as he turned back to the board. "i need to get the four of you to the other side of the board safely, avoiding any..." there was a short pause. "pit falls."

"i wonder what pit falls mad robert has in stall for us." alfie taunted but it clearly wasn't the time for jokes.

"and remember an anubis piece can only take you if you are stood on one of the danger squares, that are marked with the jackle mark." fabian explained, the same mark we each had somewhere on our bodies.

"like the snakes in snakes and ladders." my brother whispered, "but what happens after that?"

"let's hope we never find out."

"so not reassured." patricia blurted our whole fabian continued to take notes on the back of our small board.

"okay." fabian started once again, "our side moves four squares each time, so that's one square each, so y/n, you go forward one square."

"i can go first." my brother offered but i had already taken a step forward. "oh-"

"i'm okay eddie, everything's going to be okay, fabian has a good idea on what's going on." i reassured the boy but it didn't seem to be convincing enough as he took ahold of his girlfriend's hand and held it tightly.

"okay, eddie, patricia, each of you move forward a square." fabian ordered, the two obliged, still hand in hand. "alfie you too." the boy followed. "show us what you've got robert."

the guard spun and faced a different direction and that's when we discovered how they moved.

"is that all you've got frobisher?" alfie teases with a laugh. "this is going to be a piece of cake."

fabian then continued to use us as his playing pieces and managed to avoid every danger square so far. eddie and patricia were on one side of the board mirroring me and alfie, and that's when fabian took a leap of faith.

"okay, finally y/n, take one step forward." he stated, i looked down at my feat to see the mark printed on the next square.

"but that's a danger square." my brother yelled, "don't do it y/n, there has to be another way we can get around the board!"

"how come everyone else gets a safe one but here?" alfie questioned.

"look, i don't have any choice y/n, so just do it." fabian looked over at my sadly, clearly tense.

alfie grabbed myself hand tightly as i took the step and my feet were now on the jackle on the ground. claiming my eyes shut i prepared myself for the worse and the sound of them moving echoed through the room.

i opened them to see if faced away from me and we cheered in excitement. "thank god." i breathed. "okay good job fabian, what's the next move?"

he shuffled through the papers he had brought down with us before answering the question, "eddie, patricia and alfie forward one square, y/n one square to your left." he told us, "i know it's a danger square, i'm sorry."

"i really hate this game." i breathed, still holding alfie's hand tightly when we took the steps. "fabian i trust you."

"if i'm right, you'll both be safe, okay?"

the statues began to spin again, my eyes stayed open as i watched the one in front of me turn, passing my face once before it finally stopped. we were all safe again.

the room fall quiet for a moment before the noise retired and the statue i front of my brother spun once more, the blade now facing him, inches away from his face.

"fabian? what do i do now?" he breathed, "i-" his words turned into yells as the floor opened up and his body fell through it, closing quickly behind him.

"eddie!"