The Preface.

This novel contains mature content—triggering subject matter (i.e. depression, self-harm), occasional underage drinking, implied drug use, and violence. Moreover, as a warning to the people reading this story, this book is littered with flawed characters with imperfect thoughts and actions. However, I do not wish to glamorize the issues and flaws you might find here.

So why am I writing this?

It's been hard growing up, watching the world shift and peel into a dark, broken, scary place before my eyes. I've seen kids fall apart—depression, unforgiveness, suicide, self-harm, rebellion, drug abuse, the pain of broken homes, you name it. I've been through some of these myself, and some of my friends have, too.

And this has impressed a burden on me. I believe I can't go on sugarcoating, painting these things in pastel hush tones, pretending everything's okay. To be able to express the dire need for light, I will have to expose the darkness—these ugly, cruel aspects we'd rather not speak of. I've decided to be afraid no longer.

So I write this story to you, a story of a kind of LOVE people don't talk about so often—the love that is kind, strong, forgiving, freeing, and hopeful. I write this in hopes that we rise above these dark times, that we choose to be the salt and light in this dark world. I want you to know that amidst the pain and the lies that you are loved and that there's always hope.

Stay strong and brave and kind,
Lazarein

P.S. This novel is set in the year 2018, around the time I wrote the first few chapters of Bright Eyes.

P.P.S. I appreciate your feedback, whether a vote or a comment (or just pointing out typos and weird punctuations scattered about where they're not supposed to be). Don't be afraid to share your thoughts. Also, there are a bunch of terrific, underrated/lesser-known writers out there; it'll be awesome if you show them your support as well. Love and kindness, human beans. ♥️