3

''Really?''

''Yea, I just want you to be there.'' Embry replied, meeting her on a Saturday at Subway.

''I just want to rest of the weekends,'' I said frustratingly.

''You should be there, it's a house party, and his colleagues would be there. Maybe you can find a good catch after you rejected Jago.''

It's her point, the multitude of everything, dealing with his girl thing. Why should be she is with her boyfriend, I don't wanna be a third wheel.

''You just know that you must be there for me no matter what. We're best friends, right?''

A house party. Cool. Yeah, you've got it right most of Price's friends were there, his house was just out of the corner. Jasper and that girl he's dating meet his friends, and I feel diffident actually, combust with the people, mostly I don't even know why I agree to be here in the first place. Their muscles too stretched over their recently enlarged skeletons.

Yet neither were they young teens, the swagger of the later teens fully in place. They moved like guys gaining a sense of surety in themselves and perhaps that was the most dangerous phase of all - physically competent without the experience to know when to show restraint.

''This is Bradford, and Merrick, they're on the football team.'' He introduces.

''So who is this girl?'' Merrick pointed at me. ''Is she your girlfriend?''

''Nuh, nuh. Stop bro!'' He chuckles. ''and this is Embry.''

I flushed, and it was an awkward moment. Boys greeted her with a kiss on the cheek. I stood on the porch away from them, And when they laughed the loudest and swore it helped them to cope with the world. I don't even know that Riggs was there, without skepticism he's also part of the team.

 I don't even know that Riggs was there, without skepticism he's also part of the team

No need for me to be out of the place though, he handed me a drink. I stayed there for an hour. We moved to the couch, even given just a script of their conversation, with no context or voices, you would know they were boys. The task-directed conversation was interrupted only by jokes, often at the expense of one of their friends. Yet from the dialogue that followed it was clear that no offense had been taken, quite the contrary. They enjoyed the banter, the witty and not-so-witty put-downs.

They teased and jibbed one moment and discussed team strategy the next, taking one another seriously and giving well-thought responses. But the sensible talk could never last too long like it was scheduled by an egg timer. Soon the hilarity would start all over again.

Embry sat between the two very good-looking boys; she was short and thin and smoking a blunt. The taller of the two guys were laid back scanning the room in his way while the more muscular one was whispering in the girl's ear as the two of them laughed. The muscular one tells the tall one what I could assume was some type of joke, he laughs too.