{chapter 3}

Marinette looked around the classroom, disappointment covering her face. In front of her was where Adrien was supposed to be sitting, but instead Nino sat alone, quietly doing his work.

"Marinette, what's wrong?" Alya noticed the way her face was and tapped her back.

"You know Adrien?"

"Yes, I know Adrien is your boyfriend. What about him?"

Marinette blushed at the words, not wanting it to get to her as she was really serious. "He was supposed to be in school today. He even told me he would. He promised! He said he would be here before me, but now. . ."

"Well Marinette, a lot of boys make promises and break them later on," Alya replied, trying to sound as honest as she could. "Adrien is probably running late. Maybe he got into trouble like he always does."

"No, Adrien has changed. He's not that bad boy you know anymore," Marinette defended. "And plus. . . He sounded so sure of his promise. I don't think he'd break it." What could be keeping him? "I called him a dozen times and he still hasn't picked up yet. I'm getting really worried."

"Marinette. . . I, I don't know what to say," Alya sighed with a shrug. "Tell you what. At lunchtime, we could go over to his place and see if he's home. Maybe his mother can tell us where he is."

Marinette nodded. "Alright, fine." She looked down at the floor, before shutting her eyes closed, her heart suddenly pounding. Adrien, please be okay! But why did she have a feeling that he wasn't?

~~~

Adrien's eyes fluttered opened, and he looked around, wondering where he was. The place was dark, but he could quickly identify the bars that were right in front of him. He stood up, grabbing ahold of the bars and started shaking them, hoping that somehow they'd break.

"Plagg?" He looked around once again, but found that he was completely alone. Or maybe he wasn't. . . Adrien wasn't really sure. The place was extremely dark, which made it hard to identify anything, and plus Plagg was really hard to spot in th dark.

"Plagg!!" He called out again, but then he whirled around when he heard footsteps coming towards him.

"He's not here, " The voice said, but Adrien immediately recognized the voice as soon as he heard it.

"Marinette?!" He called out. The voice didn't reply. "Marinette, is that you?!"

The figure started walking closer towards him, until Adrien could finally be able to see her. He wasn't wrong. In front of him stood Marinette, but instead of her usual nice and calm face, she looked angry and evil with a smirk dancing on her lips.

"Yes, Adrien?"

"Won't you get me out?" Adrien had no idea what was going on. Was he living in a nightmare?! "Marinette, do you perhaps have the key to get me out of this stupid cage?" He sounded furious and frustrated as he kicked the bars as hard as he could.

Marinette chuckled a bit, before stuffing her hand inside of her pocket. She pulled her hand out, and on her palm was a key. Adrien's grin widened, and he pointed over at the lock. "Right there, Marinette."

"What makes you so sure that I'd get you out?"

Adrien could feel his heart drop at the words, almost not believing that it was the same sweet Marinette speaking. "What? Why not? Did I do something wrong, Marinette?"

"I brought you here, idiot!" Marinette exclaimed. At first she looked angry, as if Adrien had done something extremely upsetting, but seeing Adrien's confused and hurt face made her smile again. "All I had to do was pretend to be your friend. It was that easy fooling you, Adrien."

Adrien stared hard at her, not saying anything, not moving. Marinette stared back at him as she folded her arms, a smirk still on her face. Adrien was about to open his mouth, call her out on her lies and ask her what she was on about, when suddenly he heard another footsteps coming towards the two of them.

"Marinette, get me out of here! They're coming!" Adrien yelled out, hitting against the bars furiously. "What's your problem? What are you doing?!"

The second figure showed herself, standing right beside Marinette. She too looked at Adrien with such a satisfying look on her face.

"You!" Adrien exclaimed, pointing at the woman. "Lina!"