fifty - eight

later in two in the morning, there came another knock. north poked her head out of the blankets she buried herself in to see rita sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"rits—what are you doing here?" she rubbed her eyes as she reached to open her bedside lamp.

"i... i wanted to tell you i was sorry."

"sorry for what?"

"i used to blame you, you know? when dad left and mom fell into her bottles of alcohol and kale focused his whole life on baseball, you were all that was left. and i needed you to guide me but you—you left for somewhere else too. you abandoned me and i hated you so much for it. i mean i don't blame you for me ending up fucked up, i got myself into smoking and dating and those bitchy friends at school. but i always blamed you for not getting me out of it. and now, after tonight.... mom and dad will most probably file for divorce tomorrow morning . and i realized that we could get split up but before that happens, i want to say sorry. so i'm sorry,"

"i... i never realized that you were drowning too."

rita shrugged, "everyone's drowning in their own ways."

"i'll throw you a lifesaver," north smiled as they hugged.

"make it cherry flavored." rita added and they both laughed.