em

"Get us while we're hot!" we taunted, our voices drowned in our own uncontrollable laughter.

Even the packed dirt of the road was hot as we ran. Us, the summer kids. The bad kids with no where important to be. Southern accents lingered in the air stifled with heat.

"Emmm," drawled the drunken voice of my best friend, Cassidy. Her blonde hair was shiny in the moonlight. "You better run faster! They're catching up." All the while, though, she giggled. Even piss-drunk, she knew the notion was ridiculous. The police in Edston were lazy, and would stop chasing us pretty soon.

In only our bikinis, our moonlit figures streaked further away from Mr. and Mrs. Daniels' backyard, where my friends and I had hopped the fence to take a swim in their in-ground pool. Already, though, my black bikini had air-dried. Even in mid-June, on the first night off of school, Edston was like an oven no one really escaped. Heat was all we knew.

Karina Sparks clicked her convertible unlocked, but a few of us had already swung ourselves over the doors to get in. We sped off into the night (or early morning? Possibly).

Karina let out a whoop of adrenaline as she gripped the wheel tightly. She threw her head back; she was all exotic with her glowing Mediterranean skin and her black hair, and with it streaming behind her she looked like a music video. She flicked on her car stereo and the perfect song came on. We sang along, because bad as we are, we're girls and thats what we do, standing up in the overcrowded car. Me and my friends and a few of their friends, if you'd seen us, you would've been jealous. Standing up in Katrina's car, looking beautiful and screaming lyrics to a song everyone knows.

I slung my arms around my friends' shoulders and thought, I kinda like my life a lot, right now. I felt like we were in one of those perfect-summer movies, and we were the shining in-crowd. We were already, but you get the idea.

I closed my eyes and let the thick, hot air hit the brown skin on my face, smiling up at the moon.

When I opened them again, a car was next to us. A boy was in it, in the feont seat looking like someone had pissed in his coffee. He wore this stiff kind of button down shirt, so you could tell he wasn't from around here, because my guy friends barely wore shirts (perks of living in a climate similar to that of hell), and you could tell the collar was really killing him.

He was gazing in longing at Karina's car, like he wanted to join us so badly it hurt him. I wondered why he was staring, before realizing that there were eight or nine girls in barely and clothing in the car. Little perv.

He made eye contact, and we stared at each other for a while. I cocked my head at him, smirking. Clearly not from around here. He was so pale. He had this very deep brown hair flicked up and stylized nicely.

"Shoot, shoot, shoot, you guys, my mom just texted me. She's coming home," Karina suddenly reported. "Sit down, will y'all?"

Just as we sat down and Karina accelerated to an ungodly speed, I looked at the boy and winked before disappearing.

A/N probably shouldn't be starting any new books but eight chapters are already done so why not right?
help me decide on a model for Emily: jayde pierce or chanel iman? idk man. anyway, enjoy!