Friends? Yeah..Friends

Sal
It felt great. Straining my throat last night from all that screaming with pent up anger. I laid awake thinking about it this morning, like it was a dream, a wonderful dream. I doubted it ever happened until I tried talking to Gizmo once I walked out of my room. My voice was scratchy and aching, then I go to look in the bathroom mirror, where my hair was still in the bun but it was super messy and tangled. I tug and pull at the elastic band as I hiss in pain trying to take it out so I could have a warm shower and take in every detail from last night.
The strobing lights.
The blaring music.
Faces. So many faces. And eyes.
The bathroom. His yelling. He tried-
"OW!" I yelp in pain as I finally pull out the elastic, ripping me back into reality. I rub my head and put the elastic in the trash, it was done. It pulled out some chunks of my hair, that really hurt.
I sigh heavily and turn on the shower, then got undressed as I waited for the water to heat up. I look down at my pale, somewhat plump and short body. Almost every inch covered with red marks, the cuts from my self harm. The very cuts, Travis was going to show to everyone at school. Along with my disgusting face.
I step into the hot and steaming shower, I hiss as it hits my cold back and legs but it soon turned into soothing hits of water. Letting my mind roam and closing my eyes as I rub and massage my head with shampoo. Whats gonna happen to me when I go to school? Whats Travis going to be like to me? What about Larry? I shake it off and finish my shower, drying off my hair and body.
I start to head to my room when all of a sudden hear a knock at my front door. I slowly walk over and look through the peephole, where I see Larry standing out there whistling. I open the door with the lock still on. "Uh, what are you doing here?" I didn't show my face but I still asked.
"Thought I'd say hi. I never did the first day you moved in after our first encounter." He answered sheepishly.
"Well you'll have to wait, I just got out of the shower." I tell him and shut the door then quickly head to my room where I swiftly put on some jeans, a rollingstones long sleeve shirt, and my socks along with my prosthetic. I casually walk out and unlock the door, opening it slowly to reveal the tall boy. I never really took his looks in, but once he stood in front of me I can see it now. Why girls fawned over him like horny bunnies in spring. "About last night." He says. "I'm sorry about him. You must've went through a lot with him to get you to that point."
"He tried to rape me. In the bathroom." I almost mutter and I turn to sit on the couch where Gizmo laid watching tv. The door closed and his frantic walk came closer until he sat down beside me, looking awkward as all hell. "You don't have to day anything." I tell him once I saw his mouth part to say something.
"I was gonna ask why your so distant from everyone." Larry asks and I tense. No ones ever asked me that. I don't have a story like always. I made up stories to avoid questions, but not this one. I never expected it.
"I uh..." I start to pet Gizmo. "I avoid people, and making friends, because at some point they'll hurt you and leave you and never come back..because your a freak that no one wants to see." I gripped my knee tightly remembering all the people I called friends back in Jersey. Turning into backstabbing bullies. "No one can ever love me because I'm a monster."
"You're not a monster. You have scars so what? That doesn't make you monster, you just look different." I turn to look at him and he's smiling. "People made fun of me too. 'Boys dont have long hair' and shit. It was silly, besides I like bending the rules." He looks at the tv but I keep looking at him, wondering why he chooses to be around me. A normal dude like him.
"Why me?"
"Because.." Larry seemed to think for a moment before smiling at me. "You need a friend. And a good one, not a fake." I scoff and roll my eye. "I'm telling the truth, why do you think I went out there with you last night?"
"You felt pity." I pet Gizmo as he purrs and stretches on the couch.
"Yes..and no. I knew what would happen, but your not like everyone else. You actually stood up to him, and broke his fucking phone!" Larry exclaims happily like its the best day of his life. "That was awesome to watch dude. But no one has ever done besides me or Ash."
"You still haven't given me a reason." I remind him, huffing.
"You had balls to actually punch him. And I can see you've dealt with stuff other than him." He goes back to what he was saying which I paid fully attention to. "Todd told me."
"What? He told you?!" I stand up, frustrated with the person I thought I could trust with this stuff. "What did he tell you?!"
"Just about Travis and that you lost your mom and your dad is struggling." He puts his hands up in defence. I slowly sit back down, but now that barrier is up again. That barrier I keep me from people. "Listen I understand-"
"No! You don't understand!" I yell at him. "You don't understand what its like to have your parent taken from you! And that your called a freak for wearing a fucking mask!"
"I do fucking understand!" Larry is now yelling at me. He looks mad. Not mad...pissed. "I lost my fucking dad when I was fucking seven years old! He left me and my mom alone without a word! And I was called a crybaby because of it! So don't you fucking dare tell me I don't understand."
"I...I'm sorry.." I almost mumble now embarrassed that I thought he was like everyone else. I stared at the floor like I always do, until I feel his arms wrap around my shoulders and pull me close to him. A hug..?
"I know its hard. But there are people who will care about you, and want to be around you." Larry says, calmly and softly. "Its gonna be okay Sal."
That broke me. That little barrier I kept up broke, all those emotions, all that pain, all that hiding.
I start to shake and I began to start sobbing, then it turns into crying and wailing as I tightly wrap my arms around his waist like it was the last time I'll ever hug someone.
We said nothing.
Just the cries and wails echoed throughout my apartment.
His arms were warm.
Like the ones I felt that night..
Thank you.
"Thank you." I mutter and I feel his head nod. "Friends..?"
He chuckles. "Yeah, friends dude."