chapter 68: A New Life

The shock was evident in Meredith's and Amelia's faces, but Maggie didn't feel much better either. Of course she had imagined several situations in which her water could break, but these didn't include her own gender reveal party and the thirtieth week of her pregnancy.

"Okay, Mags...", Meredith started and took a deep breath. "Amelia will stay here with you and I am going to get Andrew.", she continued in a more controlled voice, so her sister wouldn't start panicking and remained calm.

"Get Addison, Carina and Arizona or Callie, too!", her sister-in-law yelled after her and got a snappy comment about if the general surgeon should bring the whole group as an answer, which caused Amelia to roll her eyes.

"Could you stop this for once?", Maggie asked through clenched teeth, because the next contraction was noticeable. Her sister walked her over to the next best chair, where the pretty cardio surgeon didn't really want to sit down, since she didn't feel like messing up her friends' furniture. "What if something goes wrong?", Maggie wanted to know with tears in her eyes, as she concentrated on the stabilization of her breathing and held Amelia's hand.

"Mags, nothing will go wrong! Both are healthy and they will stay this way.", the neurosurgeon encouraged with a smile. When her sister asked if she was never scared of giving birth to her kids, Amelia replied: "Oh, I was! Every single time. But I am currently not the fearful mother but the calming little sister."

"Hey!", Maggie complained. "I am the little sister and you're the middle child!" An almost invisible smile formed on her lips through all the pain she was feeling, but her sister noticed it and grinned in satisfaction.

"We're here!", Andrew nervously announced and immediately went over to his wife. Carina, Addison and Arizona followed closely. The last one made her way into the bathroom to get a towel, while everyone else brought Maggie to the car. Meredith was already waiting there and got Andrew's keys, so she could pack a bag with clothes and things, while he would drive his wife, Addison and his sister to the hospital.

"Amelia, what will we do with the driving?", Meredith wondered. She was taking hers and Derek's car, but had brought some of the kids here.

"Owen will drive multiple times or one of our mothers is taking over.", the brunette quickly informed her. "Send me updates and tell Maggie she is supposed to tell me when she needs me. She can do this!", Amelia added, before her sister left.

"Mommy, are aunt Maggie's and uncle Andrew's babies coming now?", Finn asked, after he, Matt, Ruby, Liam and Susie came over. His mother smiled and nodded. "Does this make you nervous?", he continued.

"A little...", Amelia sighed. "But everything will be fine.", she convinced the children. "What are we going to do now?", she wanted to know from the littles and they replied they were in the mood for some ice cream, which caused the group to go back to the others.

---

After Owen had brought Mira to bed in the evening, the kids were allowed to watch a movie and decided on "Alice in Wonderland". The adults stayed in the kitchen and sorted all the presents when Amelia's phone vibrated all of a sudden.

"Oh my God, finally!", she answered the call. Meredith told her about the c-section and how both babies were doing fine, but had to get help through a breathing aid for a few weeks. She also promised a photo of each newborn. The brunette let her sister greet Maggie and Andrew with congratulations and then patiently waited for the pictures.

"Are Maggie and the babies okay?", Owen wondered, since he was just as curious and worried. His wife nodded and explained to him what she had heard. "Are you able to relax now, too?", he asked her, reading nothing but nervousness in Amelia's face.