𝐕𝐈𝐈

KYLE calls the next day and asks me to dinner.

And not to Mac's or anything for a cheesesteak and fries or the diner again. He wants to take me out. Like out out. To a restaurant where there are cloth napkins and the waiter holds your menu for you until you're settled in your seat.

I know Dad is going to insist on meeting him this time since I agreed to let him pick me up. It means that even though he won't have to eat it, he'll still be subjected to looking at Lori's version of Goulash, which is just elbow macaroni, hamburger and tomato soup. Believe it or not, it's up there in terms of top five things Lori cooks that I can eat, but hell yes to a nice meal someone else pays for.

I'm nervous as I knock on Rosalie's door. She's been moody all day, and I haven't had a chance to ask what's wrong. When I got back from the beach last night, she wasn't here, and I never heard her come in. My gut tells me she was with Vince, because Harry was with me until it got too dark out to see the waves.

When we'd had enough surfing, he drove me home but was silent most of the way, listening to Led Zeppelin too loud to make conversation. The energy between us that I felt on the water had vanished, and I figured that moment was all in my head as he dropped me off with barely a 'bye' and zoomed away almost before I had my left foot out of the car.

He did not ask if Rose was home or make any mention of coming in to see her.

"Can I come in?" I call through the door.

"If you must."

Earth, Wind and Fire plays through the room and I see Rosalie sitting on her floor maintaining her pedicure, but her hair is messy and she's got that diseased look about her again.

"You okay?"

"Why do you keep asking me that? I'm fine. What is it you need?" She doesn't look up from the pink polish.

"Um, Kyle wants to take me to Vincenzo's tonight and I don't know what to wear." My bare foot crosses the other on her carpet.

She looks up at me. "You want my help?" She says it almost like she's doubtful or like it's a trap.

"Scott never took me anywhere but Frosty Freeze or the Gas 'n Gulp. Doubt I can wear flip flops and cutoffs for a fine-dining experience." She just looks at me with a blank face. "Yes, I would like your help, please." I roll my eyes.

She caps the bottle. "Wow. Anna Cooper isn't so self-assured after all." She gets up and walks to her closet.

I wrinkle my nose at her. "What does that mean? I'm just asking to borrow an outfit that doesn't smell like chicken wings."

She shifts through some pretty floral dresses and shrugs. "Nothing." She holds out a short, blue dress. "Try this on."

I'm confused by what she said, but ignore it as I take my shirt and shorts off, slipping the dress over my head. The material is silky against my skin and makes me feel pretty. Rosalie looks at me in the mirror. "Do you have any shoes to go with this? Your big feet will stretch mine out."

"My feet are the same size as yours! But yes, I have the sandals I wore to the wedding." They have beige straps and a low platform heel. They should match fine.

Rosalie sighs behind me. "I suppose I should do your toes for your big date. Don't want to scare the poor guy off with those talons."

"Jesus Rosalie, I'm not Big Foot. Don't do me any favors."

"Just sit down." She nods to the stool at her dressing table and I perch on the edge of the pink fur. She sits on the floor and takes my foot onto her lap, removing the leftover polish before speaking.