𝐗𝐗𝐈

"OKAY, now keep your eyes closed," Dad says as he leads me out the front door.

"Your monster hand is not only covering my eyes, but my nose as well. I'm pretty sure I can't see or breathe."

I stumble at the step, and I'm positive he didn't tell me it was coming up on purpose because he actually laughs at me as he holds me upright. "This better be good," I say, half-grumpy and half-smiling because I don't think my dad would joke around if he were leading me to something horrific. But I guess you never know.

"Okay! Open them up!" Dad says excitedly and removes his hand. It takes me a second to blink life back into my eyes, but when I finally see what he's led me to, I let out a loud squeal.

Sitting there in the driveway is a brand new, cherry-red Corvette complete with T-top.

"You got me a Corvette? Holy shit!"

"Ha! No, I got myself a new corvette." He dangles keys in front of my face. "You, my dear, are getting my old car."

I look from the dreamy Corvette to the five-year-old maroon Chevy Nova sitting next to it. "That was really, really mean."

"Happy eighteenth, honey!" Dad is laughing and slapping me on the back while Lori comes out shaking her head.

"I told you not to do that to her."

"She's fine. It's a car, isn't it?"

I get over my disappointment quickly. "It sure is!" I grab the keys and walk to my dad's old car. It may not be the flashiest thing, but hell, who am I to complain about finally having some freedom?

"I cleaned it up for you," he says and follows me over. I get in and sit in the driver's seat. It's the car I took my driving lessons and test with, but now that it's mine, it feels brand new. Dad leans his elbows on the window frame and I'm about to tell him to get off it 'cause I don't want his arm hair all over it. "I might've added a fancy new cassette player for you."

I look down and sure enough, where the 8-track was, is a radio with a cassette deck. "That is so cool!"

Lori opens the passenger side door and climbs in, handing me an envelope. "Happy birthday, sweetie." I open the envelope to find a card I don't read and a gift certificate to Tower Records in it.

"Bitchin!" I hug her and she fiddles with some of the dials. "Thanks guys, really. This is great. Much better than the mood ring I was expecting," I joke.

"So does this mean I don't get to drive you anywhere anymore?" Harry appears suddenly in the window besides Dad's head.

I smile bright, happy to see him. "Nope, you're now my bitch. Get in!" Lori scoots out and Harry takes her place. I start up the car and turn the radio up immediately.

Dad cups his hands around his mouth to shout. "Turn that down! You'll blow the speakers!"

"What?" I yell.

"I said, you'll blow the speakers!"

"I can't hear you!" I tease, and start backing the car out of the driveway.

"Be home by six! We're having fondue!" Lori yells, and I definitely hear that so I stop and turn down the volume.

My stomach rolls at the thought of having to eat Lori's food tonight. I was hoping for some birthday take out. "Fondue?"

"Yes, don't worry. Anne is coming to help. Although I'm sure I could handle melting cheese in a pot and cutting up bread."

"Sure you can, honey," Dad says and puts his arm around her. He's been even more affectionate with her than usual since the morning with the magazine a few days ago. I look at Lori, who still has shadows under her eyes, even though she's doing her best to look happy for me.