Section 4

"I have to go back!" you insist, stepping closer to the swirling image.

"We've all tried, Elmer," Jarvis warns you. "If The Fog wants you here, you'll stay here. Or it'll get rid of you some other way."

"I don't care!" you retort. "I have to try! And I'll do things differently this time!"

"If no one comes to save you, you'll be sucked back into The Fog," he says in an ominous voice, "And no one will come." Glancing over your shoulder, you see Jarvis shaking his head. Whether in warning or disappointment, you can't to tell.

You shake your head in return. "I have to go home."

With that, you turn around and tentatively place your hand on the image.

The surface ripples and blinding lights flash behind your eyes. Again, the fog sets you on pins and needles, biting deep. You've been thrown into a misty torture chamber, instruments twisting you in unnatural ways. The way back into reality is even more painful than it was to leave it.

But the sensation soon ends and you find yourself sprawled on the cold, hard concrete. Despite the icy droplets surrounding you, sweat trickles down your back and you feel short of breath.

"Help!" you try to call, but it comes out a sickly weeze. Getting shakily to your feet, you try again. "Help..," your voice comes out stronger that time, and you feel more confident. "Help me...Someone, Help!"

You here far away footsteps and hope swells in your chest. "Please! Hurry! Before it's too late!"

"Here!" a voice shouts from some distance away. "I'm coming!"

Goosebumps prickle your arms as the echo of your own voice flows back into your mind. You try to turn away, but next thing you know, a light shines on your face, illuminating the shocked expression worn by your former self. "No. Not you...Anyone but you!"

"Who...are you?" past Elmer whispers.

"No, no, no," you shudder, ignoring the question. He'd find out soon enough. "Jarvis told me it wouldn't work. Warned me...should have listened...but foolish old me...stupid...thought I was different...thought it would work..." Really, why did you ever believe things would change? Of course you would make the same choices without knowing the consequences.

"What's going on?"

"No!" you shout as he steps towards you. "Don't come near me! Go home, Elmer. Forget about this."

Then you run, tears streaming down your cheeks. This was pointless. You were making your way in the world: a good job, a beautiful wife and child. It's all lost. You'll never see your family again. They'll be left alone, no one to provide for them. You'll never see another stack of paperwork on your desk, or another paycheck.

But maybe, just maybe, if you get back through the portal first, everything will be reversed. Maybe the paradox won't be created, and you'll never come to The Fog. Maybe it'll all go back to normal.

You arrive back at the swirling colors, and you feel the fog pulling at your skin, urging you to go through.

"Hey!" you hear past Elmer shout. You ignore him. You're almost through.

But then you feel the shadow fall across your body. Turning, you find him reaching towards you.

"Don't!" you shriek, even as his hand brushes your raincoat.

Searing pain streams through your body, the agony worse than you felt going through the portal. You don't even feel yourself fall, convulsing on the ground as your past self fades away. A blood-curdling scream tears out from between your lips as your vision goes dark. Then your scream becomes your last breath.

THE END