Section 5

You turn to look at Jarvis, hot tears trickling down your face. "My family," you whisper.

"I know," he consols, his expression grim. "I'm sorry. But we all lost something when we came to The Fog. And it feels impossible at first. But eventually, you'll be able to make peace with it."

You turn back to the memory and watch yourself wandering through the fog. So willing to help an endangered soul. You laugh darkly. If only you'd known that you'd be condemning your own.

The memory finishes out with you reaching out to touch your duplicate. You dissolve into a wisp of smoke and he crumbles to the ground, writhing in pain. Then the image fades and the bubbly orange light continues on its way, as if nothing had happened.

Dazed, you sink to your knees as you watch it go. The light bouncing gently out of sight, taking your old life with it. As the full meaning hits, you break into sobs. That was your one chance to go home. And you missed it. Instead doomed to live forever with strangers in this infernal whiteness. The heartbreak tears you apart more than any physical pain ever could.

You sit there weeping for hours. Or maybe even years. It's impossible to tell. But eventually, your tears dry up, but your heartache never fades.

"Would you like to meet the others?" you hear Jarvis ask tentatively. You look up and see him leaning over you, a sad smile on his face.

Nodding, you wipe the last of the tears on your sleeve. Then you take his offered hand and embark on the journey of your new life as a Guardian of the Fog.

THE END