Section 7

You need help. You know it. But it's not right to intrude on other people's property. What if this was someone's house and they just forgot to lock the door. You could be arrested for breaking in. And something about that door unsettles you.

Shaking your head, you turn away and head back the way you come, this time constantly shining the light on the building fronts, looking for some sort of landmark. You find nothing, even after what felt like hours of searching.

You shiver in the cold mist, the chill cutting to the bone. You don't remember it being this cold before. If you stay out here much longer, you're going to get hypothermia.

Fear prickles your heart. How long have you been out here? Shouldn't the fog have cleared up by now?

As if in reply, you hear the Clock Tower chime in the distance. The way the sound is distorted in the fog feels unearthly.

Maybe you're on the wrong side of the road. Suddenly, the roar of an engine fills your ears. Head lights glare at you from out of the fog. Before you can react, you feel the impact as the car hits you. You hear your bones crack and feel the blood trickling down your skin. Gasping for air, you crumple to the ground. The pain is excruciating, but you can't scream. You don't have enough life left in you.

Images flash through your mind. Your family, your friends, your job, your hopes and dreams. And then it all fades into nothingness.

THE END