Chapter 21

"I am the butler of this estate, Sebastian Michaelis," Sebastian said as he placed his hand over his chest, masking his extreme irritation well. "You are at Phantomhive Manor, and you work here as the head maid alongside me."

Wait a moment...she was working as a head maid for nobility? How had such a thing happened? Why couldn't she remember that?

"Adalina!"

The young woman turned to find a young boy and another woman running up to her. She quickly pressed herself against the wall to avoid them.

"Are you feeling better?" the boy asked with a large innocent smile on his face.

Adalina looked over at Sebastian.

"This is Finnian, our gardener," he calmly explained. "And this is Mey-Rin, the housemaid."

Finnian and Mey-Rin exchanged a confused glance. Why was Sebastian introducing them to Adalina when they had all worked together for years?

"Baldroy is around here somewhere. He is our cook. I'm sure you will meet him before the day is over. If you would get dressed, I'll introduce you to the young master."

Adalina nodded a little and returned to her room.

"What's wrong with Adalina?" Mey-Rin asked.

"I'm afraid she's lost some of her memories. She can't remember ever working here."

"That's so terrible, yes it is!"

"For now, just go about your business and try not to overwhelm her."

"Yes, sir!" the two servants answered.

Sebastian went to Adalina's room and knocked on the door. "Are you finished dressing?"

Adalina opened the door, all dressed in her normal maid clothing.

Sebastian smiled a little when he saw that the apron wasn't tied right. "May I?"

Adalina slowly nodded and turned around.

Sebastian quickly fixed the apron so that her uniform was properly adjusted.

"Very good. If you'll follow me."

The young woman followed Sebastian up the stairs and down the hall towards Ciel's study.

He knocked on the door before opening it, and she saw a very young boy sitting at a large desk sifting through various papers.

"This is the young master, Earl Phantomhive. You have worked for him for several years now."

She had worked here for years? Why couldn't she remember any of this?

Ciel tossed a confused look towards Sebastian. Sebastian sent him a look back that clearly told him to go along with it.

The boy came around his desk and took Adalina's hand. "It's good to meet you, Adalina."

"If you'll just wait outside, I'll be with you in a moment," Sebastian said to her.

Adalina nodded and exited the room.

"What's going on?" Ciel asked once the butler had closed the door.

"Adalina lost some of her memories as a result of the drug. I'm not sure if it's permanent or if they will eventually return to her, but as of right now, she cannot recall anything about being a servant here. If I'm correct, in her mind, she was either in captivity yesterday or she was poor on the streets. Either way, she recalls nothing about working here."

Ciel placed his hand over his face. "Splendid. Contact William now. I'm tired of Lukas coming after all of us."

Sebastian placed his hand over his chest and bowed. "Certainly, my young lord."