Chapter 28

Realizing that she had just spoken for the first time in however long it had been, Adalina pressed her hand to her mouth, her eyes just as wide as Sebastian's.

Her voice. It was so much more beautiful than anything Sebastian had ever heard in his very, very long life. He had never expected that what would come from her mouth was something that practically defined beauty. And to think that his name was the first thing she said...

He slowly approached her, his face etched with disbelief which was something that he very rarely showed. "Everything?"

Adalina nodded a little as her hand came away from her mouth. She couldn't believe that she had actually talked. She almost felt a little dizzy at the elation she felt.

Sebastian's gloved hand slowly came up to caress her cheek. He had longed for this moment for such a very long time, and he was almost afraid that if he touched her, the moment would end.

Adalina leaned into his gentle touch. She now remembered why she loved it so much. She remembered every one of his gentle touches.

But she also remembered something else.

Sadness filled her eyes, and she gently pushed his hand away from her face before walking further into the gardens.

Sebastian couldn't understand why she had finally spoken after all this time, the one thing she refused to do, before rejecting him completely.

Then it hit him. The last thing that had happened before she had been struck by the paralyzing drug and her subsequent memory loss was him rejecting her kiss.

The butler quickly went after her. After all of the frustration, anger, and jealousy (even if he wouldn't admit it) he had experienced in the last several months, he was not going to lose her now.

He slowly walked up to her as she was looking at the roses. "Adalina?"

The young woman turned around but did not meet his eyes.

"Do you truly remember everything? Even Lukas and the drug?"

She nodded a little.

"Another Reaper, William, took care of him. He will no longer hurt you."

She made no movement and continued to look down at the ground.

Sebastian put his hand to her chin and gently forced her head up so she had to look at him. "Come now. You have spoken once. Surely you can do so again."

Adalina moved away from his touch for the second time. "You pulled back," she stated, heartbreak lacing her words. "Why didn't you kiss me?"

Sebastian sighed. He could sense her frustration and betrayal. And he didn't have to be a demon to hear how upset she was. The Oracle had to have seen her and told of what must happen in order for them to be together.

"I wasn't ready," he confessed. "But I am now."

"How do you know that?"

He didn't blame her for her question. If she kissed him and he wasn't ready, all chances of them being together were forever gone.

"These past few months where you had lost your memories of me made me feel an anger I am not sure I have ever experienced before. I had to put up with you being afraid of me all over again. The first time was just a nuisance to me, but this time...I longed for nothing more than to be able to touch you or even be near you again. It made me realize that I was willing to do anything if it meant I could be with you."

"Anything?"

"Anything. Whatever it takes so that you are mine and I am yours."

Adalina took his hands in hers and slowly slipped off his gloves to reveal his black nails and purple contract symbol. Though her memories had returned, she had forgotten how inhumanely cold his skin was.