Chapter 22

Sebastian traveled to the Grim Reaper Dispatch, doing his best to avoid as many green Reaper eyes as he could. He just needed to see one particular Reaper and then all of this would be over with.

The stench of the place was overwhelming and Sebastian resisted the urge to cover his nose. He entered the Management Division and a female Reaper at the front desk narrowed her eyes as she saw him approaching.

"What's your business, demon?" the Reaper asked coldly. "You should know that your kind isn't welcome here."

"I need to speak to William T. Spears," Sebastian told the female, not bothering to hide the disdain in his voice. "It's urgent."

"What could possibly be so urgent that a demon is asking a Reaper for help?"

Sebastian's eyes glowed pink. "Get him...now."

The female Reaper just glared at him.

"I thought I smelled something foul," a monotone voice said next to him. "Why are you here...Sebastian?"

"DID SOMEONE SAY BASSY?!"

Sebastian put his hand to his head as it began to throb. Between the horrid odor of the Reapers and the one Reaper he had attempted to avoid more than any other, he hoped the young master would let him indulge in the luxury of sleep just for one night.

Grell appeared out of nowhere and launched himself towards Sebastian. "What are you doing here?!"

Sebastian side-stepped, and the redhead went crashing to the ground. He turned to look at William as Grell stood up and leaned onto his shoulder. "I need to speak with you. Now."

"I'm terribly busy at the moment," William answered as he adjusted his glasses.

"You'll want to make time for this. You have a rogue Reaper on your hands."

William's eyes narrowed. "Come with me."

The two of them went to William's office, Grell trailing close behind. Once Sebastian and William were inside the office, Sebastian firmly closed the door causing Grell to slam into the closed door.

Sebastian was very close to losing control the longer he stayed in such a place. He had never been to the Dispatch before and for a good reason. He hated Grim Reapers.

"What's the problem?" William asked him.

"One of your Reapers has been delivering his own sense of justice to criminals throughout London. Normally, I wouldn't really care, but he's started to interfere with my master's business and such cannot be tolerated."

"Who is it?"

"A Reaper by the name of Lukas Everett."

"Lukas..." William murmured. "He's a new Reaper. Arrived at the Dispatch on the 14th of April, currently preparing for his examination."

"Yes. Although he's doing more than preparing for soul harvesting. He's also made it his personal mission to eradicate myself, my young master, and the head maid of the manor."

"And you haven't caught him?"

"He's fast. Faster than any Reaper I've ever seen before."

"So a Reaper managed to get the best of a demon. How the tables have turned."

Sebastian fought the urge to change into his true form and rip William's head off. "I could say the same of you. This has been going on for weeks and you haven't even been made aware of it."

The two supernatural beings stared each other down.

Finally, William sighed. "It looks like I'm going to have to be working overtime yet again."