Five

I wake up Monday morning laying on my stomach. I feel nauseous. So I just lay there. Trace is still asleep. I ease out of bed as I feel myself about to erupt. I pull on my robe as I go into the hall. I go into the room across the hall and rush for the restroom. I barely make it in time. When I finish, I brush my teeth and hair. I'm starting to think that I am pregnant. I make up my mind to call for an appointment if this continues much longer. I go back into the bedroom and go to take a shower. Even though all I want to do is go back to bed.

  Our weekend visits are the best. We talk, have mind blowing sex, and I cook for someone who truly loves my cooking.

  I feel arms come around my waist. "Sweetheart? Are you ok? You seem distracted."

  I turn into his arms and lay my head on his chest. "I'm sorry, honey. I am ok. I was just thinking about us."

  "Oh yeah? Care to share?" We washed each other, then dried.

  "Just that I really like our visits. The talks, the earth-shattering sex, and you truly like my cooking. You make me feel special. Wanted. I haven't felt like that in a very long time."

  "So basically, you like me! Think that you might stay married to me for a few years, at least?" He was trying to make me laugh. And it worked.

   "A few years at least!" We kissed. Then he picked me up and carried me downstairs. "Where are you taking me?"

  "To my second favorite room... the kitchen!"

  I fixed his favorite breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and gravy. "Too bad I have to leave in a few hours. I could live with this cooking year round." He said as he watched me dress for work.

  I smiled at him. "You're sweet, honey! I appreciate it. Are you ready to go?" I ask as I finished.

  "I guess so!" He sighed loudly. We laughed as we left the house.

  "Ok, so you're coming here next week too? I only have one day off."

  "I'll be here. I will call and tell you the arrival time." We kissed long and deeply. I left for work a short time before his flight.

  I was really feeling sick a few hours later. Nothing seemed to help. I called chef Bentley in to relieve me. I can't cook for everyone if I can't settle my stomach. I also made a doctor's appointment for the next morning.

  Bentley came through the door smiling as always. "Marcus is pissed that you are taking off." His smile disappeared as he saw my face. "But anyone who looks at you, can tell that you're sick. Go home Tamara. I've got this! Feel better soon."

  I try to smile, but can't. I walk past the ovens and stove tops. As I'm passing the salmon being put on the counter, I feel dizzy and try to catch myself. I don't succeed. I hear my name as I go down into the darkness.

  "Tamara, just stay still. The ambulance is on it's way." Bentley said as he leaned over me. His face is coming into focus.

  "Don't need an ambulance. Just help me up."

  "What the hell is going on back here?" I hear Marcus yelling.

  "Chef Tamara fainted." I hear Mandy answer him just as the paramedics enter from the back door.

  I am loaded up in the ambulance and on my way to the e.r. before I can protest.

  "Mrs. McNeil, you are pregnant." Hours later, I am still hearing the doctor's words. I'm pregnant! It just doesn't seem real. I'm going to have a baby!

  My phone rings as I'm about to call Trace. It is Marcus. "Hello?"

  "Tamara! What is wrong with you? Why did you faint?"