02 | deal

02: 거래

JEON JUNGKOOK WAS a lot of things, and that was an obvious statement. He's not just the top student of the leading high school in Korea. He was, apparently, more things than one. 

Some had described him as the It-Guy of Haru Academy. The social butterfly who has the looks, the skills, and the brain. I had almost died upon hearing the girls in my school gossip about him. He's literally everywhere. 

In simpler terms, he's the most popular guy at school with a good reputation. 

The exact opposite of me, yet again

However, despite my dislike for the guy, I was not expecting him to be in a place like this. I mean, a high school student working in a bar? He could get expelled for this. And I'm sure he knows this as well. So, why?

"Pres?" he had said, looking just as confused as me. "What are you doing here?"

My eyes shifted toward him, my eyes roaming his attire. He was wearing the bar's uniform. 

"I know I'm good looking, but for the President to virtually undress me like this," Jungkook had said, amusement now coloring his eyes. "I must say, I'm surprised."

"Hey," I cut him off, pointing at him and ignoring the perverted comment he has just made. I didn't want to call him by his name, so I called him by his other identification. "Student number 09197."

I watch as Jungkook looked at me with amusement, a small smirk tilting his lips. "I have a name, Pres." He said, before shrugging. "But I guess it doesn't matter. So," Jungkook said. "What's a prim princess like you doing in a place like this?" 

Remembering my drunk cousin, I almost cringed in front of Jungkook, who was watching me with naked curiosity gleaming his eyes. 

"None of your business." I said monotonously. But you, I thought, what are you doing here?

I had wanted to ask him that. He seemed pretty laid back for a student who just got caught working illegally, and by a student council president at that. But before I could open my mouth to ask him, the loud voice of my cousin cut me off. 

"Oh my, Yuri-ah, there you are!" Hana said out of nowhere, before flinging herself to my back. I grit my teeth in annoyance as the smell of alcohol wafted my nostrils. 

"Oh!" Hana said after a second, noticing Jungkook's presence. "Who's that fine man over there?" 

"Shut up, Hana," I hissed. Looking back to Jungkook, I ignored the smirk of amusement that flitted his lips and glared at him. 

"Hey, student number 09197," I said, pressing my lips. Unfazed, the boy in front of me crossed his arms, eyes gleaming in curiosity.

"You know this is illegal, right, bar boy?" I had said, narrowing my eyes at him. Again, he only tilted his head at me before flashing me a smile. 

"I know that."

"Then you must know what I should do." I said, before grabbing my backpack that has fallen to the ground.

And before he could respond, I had swiftly turned, dragging my drunk cousin along with me.

• • •

I DID NOT get enough sleep last night. Aside from the drunk ramblings of Hana, I couldn't even think straight and review for my quiz today. And what I had seen last night? It was an assured guarantee that I wouldn't be able to sleep.