08 | party

08: 파티

I WAS NOT comfortable at all. Okay, yes. There was some part of me that was astounded at the sight of myself in front of the mirror, marvelling at Hana's skillful hands that magically turned me into someone I was not. The other part of me? I was having trouble adjusting my skirt every now and then because dammit I was not used to these kind of clothes.

Thankfully, Hana brought some fishnet stockings. And although I think they were somewhat ridiculous, it was better than having my legs bare and exposed especially when it was cold outside.

"My, my, you look like a different person!" Hana giggled, leaning close to me as she examined our reflection on the mirror. "I am a goddess at this."

"Yeah, you put the goddess of makeups to shame."

"Oh cousin, I am the goddess of makeup." Hana scoffed, fanning herself quite dramatically before composing herself again. "In any case, you're good to go. Is someone picking you up?"

"Yeah." I nodded, checking the clock to see it was nearly time for Jungkook to arrive. 

Hana crossed her arms, a glint in her eyes that told me she knew something I don't. Somehow, the thought scares me. Finally, without wiping off the secretive smile on her face, she asks, "A boy?"

Frowning, I went and grabbed the jacket Hana laid out for me, "Yes—" I paused, scrunching my face, "—and it's not what you think."

"You do know that when people say it like that, they end up together," Hana grinned, before cackling to herself.

I let my lips curl in distaste, "They do?" I murmured, turning to look at my cousin, "How unfortunate." 

I was shrugging my jacket on and carefully putting my hair behind my back, about to wait for Jungkook out on the front when Hana holds up a finger.

"Not so fast, Kim Yuri," Hana stops me, "I need to know who you're going with—" Pausing, she pouts, as if in deep thought, before beaming at me, "—for safety purposes."

I crossed my arms in exasperation, "And since when did you care for my safety? Last time I checked, I was the one pulling you out of bars and carrying your drunk self home." I pointed out, smirking.

"Since you're going out for the first time in a while, and with a guy at that." Hana pointed out. "Boys and drinks are different matters, cousin."

"It's a house party."

"And your first one," she reminded me gently, "Therefore I need to know him for safety purposes. Now, I will not hear your protests, let me grab a jacket real quick and go down with you, hm?" she said, not even giving me time to reply as she dashed off and went to the other guest room.

"Fair enough," I sighed, before grabbing my purse and pressing my lips. "Whatever."

• • •

JUNGKOOK CAME EXACTLY on time, which seemed to leave a good impression on my insistent cousin. She had her arms crossed in a protective—albeit, exaggerated—stance which I assumed was to make her look tough in front of Jungkook.

But that didn't seem to bother Jungkook at all as he sauntered toward me, waving casually at us, before noticing I had a companion. "That's him," I mutter as I waved, to which Hana  not so surreptitiously widened her eyes at me.

"Him? Holy fuck, he's hot." I only rolled my eyes at this, and kept the agreement to this silent in my head. Jungkook looked confused when he arrived, hands shoved in his pocket, a hoodie pulled over his head, his rumpled brown hair falling over his forehead.