ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕚𝕩

It has been a month since I came to the palace. I spent my day embroidering, attending my garden, chat and tea with Ling and Ming Meimei.

Back then in my home, I really like to sing my heart out as I play around the garden. Who knows that the Imperial Garden would be this stunning. There are many flowers with different colours, flowers that fit for every seasons.

Yanxi Palace is quite far from His Majesty's. Therefor, I could spent my days at peace. As I was reaching the second verse of the song, a sudden voice halted me. "Ehem."

I look around to see a man around his late twenties. He looks regal, and is wearing gold colour clothes. Wait... gold colour. Th- then he must be-

"Why did you stop? Zhen was enjoying it," he said. I was surprised by the sudden visit and suddenly my voice couldn't get out of my throat. (Zhen is used by an Emperor to indicate himself as third person)

"My Lady, kneel," whisper A Cha. "A-ah. Your Concubine Wen Changzai greets Your Majesty The Emperor. Wish Your Majesty health and long lives," I greet as I kneel.

Waiting what his response would be next, I hurriedly says, "This concubine beg Your Majesty pardon from my lack of manner. This concubine didn't know Your Majesty had come."

My heart was beating very fast. I felt so nervous that my hands are shaking. How could I missed his coming? No. It's more like, why is he even here? Yanxi Palace is deserted, nobody would really want to go here.

Keeping my head down, I heard him asking, "What is it? Can't the Emperor come and visit his own woman?" "Ah- Your Majesty... is visiting this concubine?"

Why did it sound so awkward?! I almost slipped the word Xue Pin in front of him, but I was scared it was something I'm  not allowed to said.

"Is there someone else who lives here?" he chuckled, "you may rise." "Thank you, Your Majesty."

Feeling the huge aura around me, I don't dare to look at him. I know he might be feeling offended, but I can't move even an inch.

"Rise your head," he said. Hearing the order, I rise my head slowly as my eyes trails up to his face.

The Emperor was very handsome. He has a broad shoulder and a manly figures. His smile makes him kinder but yet so cold. No wonder every woman wants to be by his side.

"Zhen was going for a stroll this evening. But then I heard the voice of someone singing. Turns out it was you," he said, "how come you haven't serve me yet?"

"Replying Your Majesty, there are many more talented ladies serving you. Of course Her Majesty The Empress set the best to serve you," I said hurriedly.

Oh no. What if he thinks I'm blaming The Empress for not serving him earlier? What if The Empress comes for me?

"Who knows what best for me except me, myself?" He chuckled, "you must have been lonely. Why don't you sing me a song?"

Hearing those words, I began to feel more relaxed. Singing has been a hobby since I was little, although my parents always said to never show that to people because it might make me look like those woman on the streets.

But I never really cared. It's not like I could deny the Emperor's request. This is a chance to get closer to His Majesty.

(Play the song in the media or search "Book of Fate" by Su Shiding)

After singing the song, I glanced up to look at his face. He looked kinda lost and sad, as if he is reminiscing his past.

"Is the song not favorable to His Majesty's hearing?" I ask. He walk to me slowly, before taking up my hand onto his.

I look into his eyes to find the hidden meaning of his action. "Your Majesty...?"

"You sang it beautifully. Most of my concubine of higher origin would feel ashamed of my request, but you didn't give a second thought," he answered. Feeling confused whether it was a praise or a concern, I decided to reply in a general manners. "How can Your Concubine denies the request of His Majesty?"

He gives a gentle smile, before looking at the flowers, "My concubine, what is your favorite flowers?"  I blushed a little hearing the word 'my concubine' from him. Turning to face the flowers I like in the pond, I said, "Lotus is the most favorite flower of mine, Your Majesty."

"Lotus?" He looks back at me. "That's unusual. Most woman would answer peonies and lilies." Smiling as I expected the question, "Peonies and lilies are both beautiful and has powerful meaning. But Your Concubine don't think it is what matters. Your Concubine adores the way lotus entangle waters, following the stream and gently move around."

"The lotus don't need to have powerful meaning to be considered beautiful," I continued. I heard His Majesty chuckled, "Wen Changzai, are you implying that The Empress, who is the queen of all flowers, doesn't matter? And the lotus, or should I say, lower consort is better because they are more beautiful?"

I gasped hearing at those words and kneel down, "Your Majesty, This Concubine wouldn't dare! There weren't any bad meaning behind This Concubine's words. Peony is indeed the flower suitable for Her Majesty The Empress. Your Majesty misunderstands."

"Ha ha ha. Rise. I know you don't have any different meaning. I just meant to tease you," he said. I looked up in disbelief. The emperor is teasing me? Does he originally like to play around? Then I realized both sides of his mouth was rising.

My heart thumps loudly. Why is he looking at me so lovingly? I avert my gaze below, hoping to find anything to distract me.

"Is your life here comfortable?" The Emperor suddenly asks. "Thank you for His Majesty's concern. This concubine is still trying to adapt to the new environment." He then looked behind me and face my dowry maid.

"Who is this maid?" ask His Majesty. "Replying His Majesty The Emperor. This servant is called A Cha, this servant came here as dowry for My Lady," replied A Cha.

"Alright. You need to serve your master in your best ability, make her adapt here faster. Do you understand?" demands the Emperor. "Yes, Your Majesty."

The Emperor suddenly takes my hand on his. "My concubine, I'm sorry to have you waiting all this time. I can't imagine how lonely you have been," his hand trailed into my cheek, "let me take you back to your palace."