Chapter 1

The jackal awoke in an unfamiliar room. Seeing this, he jolted up but then got a wave of pain in his head and chest. He flinches and looks around a little. Just a simple bedroom.

Someone must've decided to care of him. He felt some bandages that were wrapped around his chest. He just hums.

"Ah! You're awake!" a slightly hoarse female voice calls.

His ear twitches to the source of the sound and looks over. She was an old, dullish red fox.

The jackal won't deny. He's grateful for the help, despite it making him look weak. But who is he to say now? He's practically back to his old self and most likely doesn't have any other way to gain such power ever again. Especially in this state.

Eventually, she hands him a glass of water.

"Here. You must be thirsty,"

He was a bit hesitant but he still took the glass and drank it.

"Thank you," he says once he finished. He puts the glass on a nearby stand.

The lady nods, "What is your name, sir?"

Infinite..?

No. There's a chance they'd know who he was. If they knew, would they be afraid? They have every right to be, but he needs to heal if he wants to continue. If they knew who Infinite was, then she'd probably call for help.

"My name is...Nil," he tells her.
(A/N: Nil - a synonym to "zero". Also meaning, nonexistent.)

The lady smiles, "My name is Amanda. Now, would you like to tell me how you ended up getting such an injury? You don't have to tell me if you're too uncomfortable to say,"

"Good..." he thinks to himself, "I wouldn't have told you either way,"

It was humiliating, especially to him. He was defeated at the final moments when the plan was taking place. That damn blue hedgehog and red wolf ruined everything.

If only he had just killed him.

Amanda notices his silence and hums, "You don't wish to talk about it, that's okay," she smiles.

"Why did you go out of your way to help me?"

"Oh? Well, I guess I'm just too kind for this world," she says, scratching the back of her head, "I just couldn't leave someone in the alley just bleeding out!"

"Yes. You are too kind,"

He looks away, "Where am I, anyway? What town?"

"You're in Spiral Hill Village. It's relatively small, but we've got quite a lot of buildings. Maybe when you're better, you could take a walk around to get yourself familiar with the place,"

"Spiral Hill Village..." Nil has heard of the place before back in his mercenary days. He just never went there since he never really had a reason to.

Perhaps he could walk around when he's able to. It could help him clear some things from his head, and maybe try to think of a plan and where he should go. Nil has never been one to stay in one place for too long unless necessary, much like the situation he's in now.

Amanda then asks, "Do you have any other questions?" which then broke Nil out of his daze.

"No. Not now, at least,"

She nods and stands up, "Okay. I will leave you alone now. I'll just be walking around town, and if I'm able to find it, I'll pick up a map of the town for you!" she chimes as she walks out.