Chapter 5

(A/N): If you still haven't searched up Tangle's look, here she is as well as Jewel!

Also sorry, this one is short and doesn't really show much.

~~

He had to command the forces, therefore he stayed behind in the base as his squad went out to handle the intruder. A black and red hedgehog named Shadow.

The doctor was working on a project relating to the Phantom Ruby he found not too long ago, and he claims it has to be the perfect plan to defeat this other hedgehog named Sonic.

He's heard stories of him. The hero of Mobius, the oh so amazing hedgehog who could move at speed of sound. A smart man who's able to harness power with the right tools, yet he can't get rid of a rodent. What a joke.

He scoffed at that. No time to dwindle in thoughts, though, so he quickly went back to work.

Only an hour went by, and he started to feel uneasy. No word from his squad at all in the last hour...what's going on? Is Shadow really that much of a nuisance?

He took out a communicator, "Jackal Squad, are you still there?"

And to his surprise, nothing. Only static.

He then calls them by their names. Gale, Ronan, Finn, and Kori.

Silence, once again.

His breath stops for a moment. No, they can't be...

Without a second thought, he sprinted out of the base and rushes to their last known location as fast as he can. He arrives, and the second he sees what happened, he froze. They're all dead.

He wanted to scream, but nothing of the sort came out of his mouth. Instead, he let out a low growl and set out to look for that blasted hedgehog.

"You! You're the captain of Squad Jackal, aren't you? I know you can hear me. Your squad was useless! Go clean up their mess already!!" the doctor yelled through his communicator.

The jackal lands on a pillar and groans, "Yeah yeah, I got it," he spots Shadow hiding behind another pillar. He lets out another growl, "You...you destroyed my squad..! I'll show you why they call me the Ultimate Mercenary!!"

He lunges at the hedgehog, but the next thing he knew, he felt like he was paralyzed.

"Worthless," he says, "Don't show your pathetic face around me ever again," was all he said before he disappeared.

How humiliating.

~~~

Nil woke up and winced a little considering he was still at the window so the sunlight was hitting his face. He felt a blanket wrapped over him. His sword isn't on his lap anymore, but it's just laying against the wall.

"Mornin' Nil!" Tangle greets, "Sorry I didn't put you on the bed. I didn't want to wake you up or anything,"

"It's fine," he nods.

"The townsfolk said that it's most likely gonna be clear skies all day and all night! We should be perfectly fine when we get to Windmill Village!"

Good. They don't have to worry about rain or anything.

"Also I got us some berries while you were asleep, managed to grab them on sale," Tangle continues to list what she did.

Meanwhile, Nil was half listening and half wondering about what he might find when they get to Windmill Village. It's a small village, not a lot of residents, but overall a nice community.

"Have you been to Windmill Village before?"

"Yeah, once," he nods, "I didn't have business there, though, so I didn't stay there long. Stayed only for the night before moving on,"

Tangle nods as she listens, "I suppose we should be on our way now,"

"Yes, we should," he says, picking up his sword.

After a quick farewell to a few residents, they're finally back on track. Tangle runs up to his side with a bright smile.

"It's only been a few days, but this is really fun! We already fought two baddies and got them the justice they deserved!" she chimes, "I wonder what we'll run into next!"

Nil hums, "I don't think I thanked you for helping me back there with those two. So...thanks for that,"

Tangle scratches the back of her head as she smiles, "Aww! No problem, Nil! We're friends, and friends look after each other!" she gives him a thumbs up.

He stares at her before smiling, "Yeah, I suppose so,"