chapter ten

"The guilt has been eating me alive these past few days, Amelia. I thought you were dead. But never mind, I'm just glad you're back and safe."

Paris says to me while we're witnessing the two armies fighting out in the battlefield from the palace's walls. I turn to face him and give him a small, reassuring smile.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm alright, that's what matters."

Father hasn't left my side since I got up from bed; he says he's afraid I'm gonna leave again. Andromache was hugging me for 10 minutes straight this morning and even Scamandrius let out a cry of relief and happiness when he saw me. My heart warmed up at the sight of my family but I still can't help but feel some emptiness inside of me. I miss Achilles. How I wish I could just go out there and fight alongside my brother. But he obviously didn't let me step foot out of the palace in such a state.

My eyes wander over the battlefield until they land on a familiar metal armor. My eyes widen and I quickly stand up. Is that Achilles? No, Achilles is way more muscular.

Then it hits me.

Oh my god. It's Patroclus. And Hector is making his way towards him. Oh no. This won't end well.

"HECTOR!" I scream at the top of my lungs. He doesn't seem to hear me, however, as he continues running towards the supposed "Achilles". If Patroclus dies, then Hector is dead as well.

"HECTOR STOP!" I scream again. "HE'S NOT ACHILLES! HECTOR!"

Father pulls me down and gives me a confused look. "What is it daughter?"

"Father, Hector is about to make the biggest mistake of his life!" I look at Hector again. He's now come face to face with Patroclus. Oh my god, I can't let that happen.

I take off running as fast as possible, ignoring the intensely stinging pain on my whole body. I hear Father shouting my name but I don't stop. I must stop Hector.

I reach the battlefield and stop for a moment to both catch my breath and spot them. There they are. Some Trojan soldiers have noticed me and have formed a protective line around me. But I'm not really concerned about my safety right now; my eyes are solely focused on Hector and Patroclus.

"HECTOR STOP!" I scream as loud as possible. Hector thankfully hears me and my eyes turn hopeful as I watch him turn and look at me. I signal for him not to make a move on the young boy in front of him. He, however, completely ignores me and raises his sword against Achilles's cousin.

"NOOO! HECTOR, HE IS NOT ACHILLES! STOP-"

I stop mid sentence and freeze on the spot. Because my brother just cut Patroclus's throat open. The latter freezes as well, blood oozing out from both his throat and mouth. He slowly drops to his knees and then is knocked over on the ground.

My jaw has practically touched the ground as well, as I approach the scene in shock. I can't believe that just happened.

I stare in utter horror and disbelief as Hector kneels by Patroclus's slim body and takes off his helmet. Every single soldier around gasps. The scene looks as if it's taken straight out of a movie.

My vision blurs with tears at the sight of the young boy's lifeless eyes. The spark that always existed in them, the wild smile, the young glowing of his face.. they're all gone. All life has been brutally taken away from him, leaving him with a blank and pale face alongside empty eyes.

Hector slowly looks up at me, his regretful face filled with realization. We all know what's next. Because what's about to follow is absolutely inevitable.

I approach Eudorous whose face is emotionless. He just stands there, not moving at all, as he stares at the dead cousin of his best friend. We make eye contact and I immediately know he's thinking exaclty the same thing as me.