MSU

I woke, cramped and generally unhappy. Turning off my alarm, I yawned and looked around. Light, illuminating the spiders and the dusty air, softly spoke of the morning and I could hear only the faintest sound of the hustle and bustle awaiting me outside. "Hey, that's one good thing about this place. It's sound-proof." I muttered to myself with a small smile.

Then I got up, pulling the covers with me, only to be accosted by icy water under my feet. That darn air conditioning unit must have leaked all night long. I quickly ditch the covers which, sadly, leaves me shaking uncontrollably. I wish I were joking; but, the air conditioner is currently blowing snow into the room. Which is barely uncommon for one going full blast.

Snatching my small case out of the water and grabbing my purse and my phone from the nightstand, I quickly head to the bathroom to hopefully find some refuge from the cold. The bathroom wasn't as bad as I thought it might be with the state of everything being what it was. The water was not yet so far-reaching and it shielded me from the cold air. I wasn't going to be able to leave my things here, not that I wanted to spend another night anyway. But I hadn't thought I'd be lugging them to the school with me.

Deciding not to think on it further, I hop in for a quick shower. After drying off and getting dressed for the day, I take a peek past the bathroom door and into the room. I better be leaving soon so they can fix this mess before it makes its way into the hall... I pack up my carry-on and pull my suitcase out of the closet. "I've got this." I say to reassure myself as I dash out of my room.

The girl from before is still here and attending the front. Slouched over the countertop and tapping away at her phone, she looks exhausted. "Good morning, Elisee." I say as I stride into the room, mustering up a smile. Started, as if from sleep, she straightens and greets me with a tired grin.

"Good Morning, Miss ... um" She blushes with embarrassment, scratching the back of her neck. "H-how, do you say your name again?"

With a small laugh, I sigh. "Did I register here under my full name? I use a version of my name so often... I am so sorry I made that mistake." I start then smile as I say. "Just call me Ellie. All my friends tend to due to the same mispronunciation problem."

"Okay, then. Did you find everything well, Miss Ellie?" She says, a bit hesitant.

"It was fine but the air conditioning unit is on the fritz. You should find someone to fix it before it floods the place..." I reply, feeling sorry that she has to deal with such a catastrophe. Her face contorts and she looks quite aghast at the prospect. "It's also blowing snow." I add wearily and she whines, placing her head in her hands.

"I am so sorry you had to deal with that, Miss Ellie. Thank you for your kindness, considering the circumstances." She says finally. "Wh-" She is about to say something else when the door opens and a lady comes rushing in.

"Elisee, I'm so sorry I'm late! Go. You're going to be late for your class." The lady says as she slips through the side door and behind the counter.

"It's okay Aunt Marge. The A/C in room 042 is on the fritz, by the way." Elisee says before turning to me, Smiling and typing quickly on the computer. "Miss Ellie, I have you checked out, may I help you with anything else?"

"No, thank you though. Have a good day you guys!" I say as I exit the hotel. Picking my phone out of my purse that's now swinging low on my elbow, I open my Uber app and order one to pick me up at the tiny cafe I see across the street. The streets weren't as crowded as I thought they might be but there was, nonetheless, quite a number of people moving about the early morning. As I crossed to the shop, the aroma of it hit me like a ton of bricks and it felt as though I were starving.