Chapter 6: The House Rules

"Welcome to your new home," Frank said, introducing Valeria to  the foyer of their large two-story townhouse. She entered with caution, her pace slow.

Jada brushed past them in a hurry. "I'm going to the kitchen. I need a stiff drink," she said without turning around.

Valeria studied the elegant fireplace and stopped by a mantle filled with picture frames. Photos of a girl her age were mounted there, and she studied one in particular. She had tan colored skin, coarse dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, and a wide smile. Another picture depicted Frank, Jada and their daughter, and she studied it carefully.

"Her name was Bianca." Frank approached the mantle and pointed at the picture of his daughter. "Her seventeenth birthday would have been tomorrow."

Valeria held the picture and sighed. "That's terrible. I'm sorry...you said it was Leukemia?

"Yeah."

"Did she suffer?"

"Yes," Jada answered from the kitchen entrance, her tone raw. "My daughter endured countless rounds of chemo and transfusions." She took slow steady steps toward them, the ice cubes in her cocktail clanging against the glass. "But she kept fighting for an entire year. She was braver than anyone in this room."

Frank sighed and tried to comfort Jada, but she swatted him away. "No, I'm still angry, and I'm going to speak my mind now. I still can't believe my husband thinks he can just swap out his dead daughter for a new one."

"She was my daughter too," Frank protested. "We both sat with her in that hospital room. Don't act like you're the only one who lost something."

"Then why do this? You think a protégé will make everything better around here? It won't!"

Frank looked over at Valeria. "Forgive us. You shouldn't have to hear this. I can take you upstairs -"

"No," she replied, shaking her head. "I would like to stay, unless you would like me to leave." She looked down at the family photograph and exhaled. "You welcomed me into your home. I'm the reason you both are angry, so take it out on me."

"This is not your fault. It's my fault," Frank said with a sigh. "Right, Jada?"

Jada rolled her eyes, exhaled, and sat down. "Maybe that's right. Maybe we're all to blame." Her posture softened as her eyes settled on Valeria. "I'm not angry with you, girl. I just...need more time to adjust. That's all."

"Well," she said, locking eyes with Jada, "I already told your husband this, but I'll repeat it. With the exception of my parents, who died when I was five, no one has ever given a damn about me. I always dreamed of being adopted someday, and while this isn't exactly what I imagined, it still means a lot to me. I'll work really hard, and I won't disappoint you."

Jada studied her a moment. "We'll have to see. I won't make it easy on you, so you better get some rest. Breakfast is at eight. Good night, Valeria."

Frank pointed to the stairs and said, "Your room is up there. Everything is already prepared, and I'll be up in a minute to show you around."

Valeria exited the living room and climbed the stairs. She stopped near the second floor, turned, silently descended a few steps, and listened to the two of them talking in hushed tones below.

"See," Frank whispered below. "It'll be good having her here. She's a sweetheart."

"Even if that's true," Jada whispered back, "it doesn't make me any less angry. You should have consulted me."

"I know you've been hesitant to take on a protege since Bianca's death . Even if I told you about Dontrell's plan, I knew you might disagree, and I couldn't risk it. The girl is too important."