Chapter 7: Balancing the Scales

Valeria found it difficult shopping with Jada; her taste completely differed from her own. She agreed to some of the old fashioned dresses, but made sure to pick out some torn jeans, T-shirts and tank tops. They shopped for cosmetics, underwear, jackets, and a purse. She had asked if they should save money by stealing, but Jada did not approve.

"Most of these businesses are family run. They make their living with these stores, and we do not harm the innocent," she had scolded.

After a long morning of shopping, they stopped at an eatery with a bar and ordered their lunch. While they ate, two men at the bar stared at them with eager grins. One flagged the bartender and whispered in his ear. The waiter disappeared and returned with two glasses of wine. Both men picked up the glasses, walked over to their table, and presented them with the drinks.

"Hello ladies," one said, holding the drink out to Jada, "we figured you could use some company."

Jada smiled and took the glass as the other man placed his glass in front of Valeria. Without saying a word, she saluted them with the glass and turned it upside down, spilling its contents at their feet.

The man jumped back and glared at her. "What are you doing, lady?"

"Wasting your money," Jada said with little concern, "cause you're wasting my time."

"That glass cost me fifteen bucks you crazy –"

Jada grabbed a knife from the table and held it menacingly close to his midsection. "That's a lot less than the surgery to reattach your boys if you don't back off," she hissed.

Both men looked at each other with bewildered expressions before scampering away. She flipped them the bird, readjusted her napkin, and assumed a normal posture.

"You really are a piece of work," Valeria said, her mouth curled into a grin. "But I'll admit it. That was great."

"That wasn't great," Jada replied, pouring Valeria's wine glass on the floor. "That was an important lesson. Never accept a drink from a stranger, especially a man. You never know what they could have done to it. You must be on your guard at all times."

"Is that some expert advice, Rogue to Rogue?" Valeria asked with a hint of sarcasm.

"No," Jada replied, shaking her head. "That's expert advice, woman to woman."

From a young age, Valeria knew this statement was true. Whether it was at the orphanage, her abusive foster parents, living on the streets, or avoiding harassment from male guards at the detention center, she was always on the defensive. "So I'm a woman now?"

"You are just a girl to me," Jada replied with a sigh. "But others will see you as an attractive young woman. Unfortunately you will need to be on your guard all the time, as a Rogue, and as a woman. You can choose to remain a silent victim, or you can speak up and defend yourself. Understood?"

"Got it." Valeria met her eyes, trying to act disinterested. She had never seen such a strong female figure before, but she still didn't want Jada to know just how much she admired her. Jada was right; Valeria had always been a silent victim. She had always played defense, and maybe that was the problem. Maybe it was time to start playing offense.

"Alright," Jada said, removing the napkin from her lap and placing it on the table. "If you're finished, I've got a surprise for you."

"Oh yeah, like what?"

Jada paid their lunch bill, and said, "You'll see." She stood and motioned for Valeria to follow. They left the eatery and continued along the shopping district until Jada stopped in front of a familiar store with an apple logo.