Chapter 9: Back to School

Valeria didn't get a wink of sleep that night. When the alarm went off at seven, she turned it off, sat up in bed, and studied her reflection in the mirror ahead. Her tousled black hair was a mess. She had bags under her eyes. She had experienced terrible situations before, but they were at least familiar. The notion of going to school, a place she hadn't been in years, made her particularly anxious; she was afraid of the unknown.

She showered, brushed her teeth, and dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans. She opted for something plain to avoid standing out. She applied a minimal amount of makeup, brushed her hair, and went downstairs where Frank and Jada waited for her.

"Already packed your bag, kiddo," Frank said while handing a book bag to her.

Jada offered a piece of toast coated with peanut butter. "Already packed your lunch. Eat this for breakfast, it will keep you full."

Valeria wasn't sure who was more nervous; her new foster parents or herself. While other parents might have worried about their kid adjusting to a new school, her situation was more complicated. She needed to succeed and avoid exposing herself as a Rogue.

"Now remember," Frank began, but Valeria cut him off as she grabbed the toast. "Don't tell anyone I'm a Rogue. Got it."

"Have your phone?" Jada asked.

Valeria removed the old phone from her pocket. "Unfortunately, yes."

"Good," Frank said, handing her a note-card. "Directions to the school. It's a twenty minute walk or ten minute bike ride. You decide."

"Bike - definitely."

"Sure you want to get all sweaty?" Jada asked, her face bunched into a frown, "and while we're at it – you want to wear that on your first day? Not one of the dresses?"

"Clothes are all right," Frank added, "but maybe too much makeup. Sure you don't want some glasses to blend in more?"

Valeria groaned as she finished the last bite of toast. "I'll be fine. I'm not sure who's more nervous; me or you guys."

Frank put an arm around Jada. "Alright, kiddo, we'll stop. Have a good day at school."

"Remember, your name is Valeria Ramirez!" Jada yelled as she left the kitchen. "Foreign exchange student from Mexico City!"

"I got it!" Valeria yelled as she opened the front door. " See you later!" She exited through the front door and found her bike waiting at the bike rack. She unlocked it, studied the note-card's directions to the school, and hopped on.

Seems easy enough.

Valeria breathed in the city air as she cycled to school, passing crowds of people on their way to work. She marveled at the massive scale of the city and the people that inhabited it. Giant buildings were everywhere, towering above them like a concrete jungle. 

The school was situated within the buildings, but unlike the modern skyscrapers, it looked small, plain, and outdated. Crowds of teenagers piled into the school entrance on the street via buses or carpool. She looked for a bike rack, but didn't see one anywhere.

No one else rode bikes except a boy approaching from the opposite street, and she motioned for him to stop. He was tall, dark skinned, and wore a green t-shirt.Valeria also took note of the instrument case strapped to his back. "Excuse me, do you know where the bike rack is?"

He brushed away strands of coarse black hair from his eyes, his forehead moist with sweat. His face remained blank, but his eyes widened upon noticing her.

When he didn't respond, Valeria cocked her head to the side and asked, "are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry were you talking to me?"