Intro

Abel:
I sat back on the black leather couch in my small dressing room and lit a blunt just as my phone rang.

I looked at the screen and saw my wife's name and face flash across the screen.

I answered. "Hey baby. You okay?"

"Yeah, just wondering when you'll be home."

"I'm sorry, it's probably gonna be a long night. I'm still getting things ready for Monday."

"Ooh, okay. Text me when you're on your way home."

"I will, I love you."

"I love you too Abel."

My wife didn't know about my second life as the artist The Weeknd. Shit, know one knew really, she just thought I was a college professor and that I was always working late in my office but I'd really be out clubbing or performing.

I started out as a writer and producer for some of the biggest names in music, from Kanye to Ariana to Beyoncé. I always had a love for music but was always too shy to pursue my own music career so I just stayed behind the scenes, that was until a few years ago when my friend Lamar suggested that I use a persona.

Since then I started to go by the name of The Weeknd. I performed in small, dark, smoke filled arenas to shield my identity, never used my face on any of my artwork, I didn't do interviews or public appearances either. By being so secretive, it created a huge accumulation of fans that would constantly try to figure out who I was but Lamar and I did a good job making sure no one would ever find it out.  When I used to write and produce for other artist, I used an alias and never revealed myself to the public then either. So it wasn't like someone at one of my concerts could recognize me and expose me anyway.

After we hung up, I finished my blunt then left the room to go find Lamar. I pushed through the crowd of event staff until I found him.

He asked. "You ready bro?"

"You know I'm always ready for a show." I shrugged. "But I can't party afterwards, I gotta get home to the wife."

He shook his head. "Booo."

"Nigga, shut up."

I could hear the crowd starting to chant "We want The Weeknd!" and grabbed my mic.

The band started to play my song High For This as I walked onto the extremely dimly lit stage. The crowd cheered loudly but started to settle down once I started to sing.

I went through an almost two hour set, consisting of a mix of songs from my three mixtapes and my albums.

After my set, I got off stage and started to make my way back towards the dressing room when a groupie that I've fucked with a few times ran up to me.

"That performance was so great baby

"That performance was so great baby. You kill it every time!"

"Thanks Skye."

"So...what's the move for tonight, hmm?" She smiled as she wrapped her arms around me. "We going back to your place?"

"Nah...not tonight..."

She pouted. "Aaw, I was hoping I could show you some of the new lingerie I bought today."

"Mm and you know I'd love to see you in that shit but I really can't hang tonight babe."

"Fine, but you'll make it up to me?"

"You know I will." I smiled and gave her a kiss. "I gotta go."

She let me go and I went to my dressing room to get all my stuff then ducked out the back door to my car.

It took almost thirty minutes to get home so by time I got there, it was a little past midnight.

I walked into the house and it was pitch black. I walked by Caesar sleeping in the foyer and upstairs to my master bathroom.

I took a shower to try and get rid of the stench of weed from my skin then threw on some sweats. I walked into the bedroom and there was my wife, sound asleep in the middle of our king size bed. I slid under the covers with her and wrapped my arms around her as she moved a little bit.

She mumbled. "You got all your work done?"

"Yeah, I'm all caught up now."

"That's good." She said as she scooted closer to lay on my chest. "I love you."

"I love you too babe." I kissed the top of her head as I pulled her closer. "Good night."

Even though I loved her with all my heart, when I became The Weeknd I was a different person. The Weeknd was a single, asshole that loved to party and do drugs with random women. He was the complete opposite of Abel and Abel is who she fell in love with. He was the only side of me that she knew and loved so much. The side of me that was a loving husband that took care of his wife's every need, and was a producer turned college professor.

I knew if she found out about my secret life as The Weeknd, it would crush her, and that's why I did my absolute best to conceal that part of my life.

She was to never find out what I do, in my darkest hours.