Saying Hello

As we step onto the plane, something inside me settles. An indescribably calm feeling comes over me. It's almost like my late father is with me, happy with the decision my mom and I made to come to Australia.

The flight to Australia would be over 16 hours long, considering we're taking a direct flight from a small town in South Carolina. I'm a little nervous, having never been on a plane before, to suddenly being on a 16 hour flight.

I try not to let my mind wonder to all the scary places it could easily go. I mean, there's a LOT that could go wrong. Our plane could get hijacked or run out of fuel or crash or be shot down or...

"ELLA!" My mom shouts, bringing me out of my suddenly dark thoughts.

"Hunny are you okay? I've called your name like 12 times"

"I'm fine mom, don't worry. Just day dreaming" I say, trying to sound as relaxed as possible.

"About our sudden death" I add, under my breath.

"Okay baby, you just went pale for a second there, like you were gonna pass out" Mom says with concern.

"Did you eat breakfast Ella? You know you have to eat 3 meals a day. That's nonnegotiable." The tone in her voice almost dares me to say I didn't.

"Yes mama, I ate some cereal this morning" I say, hoping to subdue her. Even if I didn't, I'm not a dumb ass and wouldn't openly admit to not eating.

"What a hardy meal" she drawls sarcastically.

"I know right! I'll be stuffed for days!" I retort back, just as sarcastic.

"You'll be bruised for days if you keep on, now order something filling for lunch, like a sandwich. You're as little as it is hon." Mom says in a soothing tone.

"Okay. I've read that plane food is pretty gross though" As the words come out of my mouth, she gives me that look. You know, the glare of death. Yea, that one. So I immediately go for damage control.

"I MEANT grossly AMAZING! Can't wait to try it! Love you!" I try to suck up to her.

"Yea, yea. Take a nap. I'll Wake you when the food's ready" My mom says in a jokingly flat tone. Thank god she let the food situation go, because i was starting to think she'd go on and on about it the whole flight, reiterating the importance of a balanced diet with 3 solid meals a day. If that were the case, I'd be in the bathroom, hiding for 16 hours.

As I try to get comfortable on the plane, I decide that Lana Del Rey will surely put me to sleep with her angelic voice. Right as I turn up the volume to "Video Games", I'm already falling out of consciousness and into a deep comatose sleep.

******

"Ella bella" Mom says, gently waking me. "Are we landing?" I ask, confusion laced in my groggy voice. Did I seriously sleep the whole flight?

"Yes, hon. I didn't have the heart to wake you when your sandwich came. You looked too at peace" My mom says lovingly.

"You're too sweet mama. I'm just happy to be alive, all things considered. At least I didn't have to risk food poisoning" I say, jokingly. I see my moms lips curve up into a smile. She can't deny that i'm absolutely HILARIOUS.

"Lady's and gents, welcome to Australia! I hope you enjoyed the smooth flight. Thank you for flying Delta Air Lines" the flight attendant recites, her script memorized perfectly.

****

After we flee the plane, we head to baggage claim and then to the food court to grab some lemonades and pretzels. After consuming our delectable Auntie Anne's, and ordering an Uber, we are finally on our way to our new house!

Once we get settled in our new house we plan on going to the grocery store, as well as checking out the beach and my new high school. Thankfully both of our cars have been shipped to the new house already.

About 30 minutes later we finally make it to the new house. It's a beautiful 4 bedroom house, walking distance from the beach, my new school, and most importantly the new ballet studio I will be going to.

Thank god all of our furniture is here so the only thing I need to do is unpack and organize my room the way I want it.

3 hours later, all my clothes are in my closet, my pictures are hung, the t.v. is set up, my new duvet is on my bed, and my sports bag is packed for when I go check out the ballet studio tomorrow. I start to get drowsy due to the evident jet lag i'm experiencing and take a quick shower. After that's done, I turn on the t.v. and flip through the channels until I land on my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy.

4 dead characters Shonda Ryimes deemed "necessary evil"to kill off later, and i'm out cold.