Sickness is a Bitch

The day she brought Stiles into the shop was the closest Cade's nightmare had ever come to being his reality. Worse than the day she got her first period, worse than the day she got Bee, worse than anything she'd ever done before. She introduced Cade to a cute boy from class and all he could see was Malia getting in that boy's shitty jeep, driving off and never coming back.

His fears are to blame for his hostility towards Stiles. When Malia walks in with him, Cade's entire body ridges up as his fears only grow. He has to remind himself that he can't control Malia, no matter how badly he wants to protect her. Every time she mentions him, every time she brings him, Cade has to remind himself of this. The moments in which he doesn't have to worry have been few and far between. They're blissful, and Cade takes them for all they're worth. Moments like these, when it's just him in the garage, a car and the radio.

Except now, when someone enters the garage and Cade knows exactly who it is.

Stiles is cautious as he steps into Cade's sacred place. He knows Cade knows he's there, knows Cade probably knew of his presence before he even stepped foot in the garage because somehow, Cade just knows everything. He feels his heart quicken just a little bit and knows it's because Malia's not with him. She's always been his sense of peace in moments like these. Every time Stiles has spoken to Cade, Malia's been with him. She's a form of barrier for them, the only thing standing between Cade and a shovel. And that's exactly why he's here, without her. Because he doesn't want to be scared of his girlfriend's father. He doesn't want to be hated by him.

"You gonna say something or are you just gonna stand there all day?"

The voice comes deep and intimidating. Stiles feels the urge to flinch. He clears his throat. "Good afternoon, sir."

If it's one thing his mother taught him, it was to always remember his manners, no matter the situation, no matter who he was dealing with. This didn't help much when it came to high school bullies, but it helped tremendously when it came to impressing mentors, parents and the like, which in the grand scheme of things, boosted his chances in job interviews, or in this case, confronting his girlfriends' father.

Cade wants to scoff. He almost does. He spares Stiles a look over his shoulder. "Sir? Been a while since someone called me that." Cade removes himself from underneath the hood of the car, and turns so he leans against it. "Well, don't be shy. What do you want? Did your car break down again?"

There's an intense emphasis on again. "Excuse me, sir?"

"What is it that you want?" Cade repeats. "Malia's out with Lydia and Kira, so I know you're not here for her. And you and I aren't friends, so what is it? Alternator? Oil leak?"

"Oh," Stiles says as he realises what Cade is trying to get at. "Oh, no. The jeeps fine, for once."

Cade cracks a smile. For once.