iv. WOMEN SWOON

CHAPTER FOUR!( WOMEN SWOON

CHAPTER FOUR!
( WOMEN SWOON. )

   YOU AND VIOLET sat down at the edge of the junior girls' table and ate quickly. The two of you wanted to be done with lunch so that you had time to finish your chemistry homework before the looming due date. Before you even finished eating, you glanced over at the boys' table and saw them all passing around a book excitedly.

"What do you think they're looking at?" you asked Violet, overcome with curiosity.

"How should I know?" she said, half-jokingly.

"I dunno, nevermind. Not my business anyway," but as you were turning your head away, Charlie caught your eye. He eagerly motioned for you to come over to his table.

"I guess you'll find out soon," Violet chuckled.

You looked at Charlie like he was crazy. Not getting up to socialize with other tables during lunch was an unwritten rule of Welton. You would indefinitely be questioned and would most likely receive demerits if your reason was not deemed acceptable by the staff. There seemed to be a large number of unwritten rules at Welton, as well as many very clear, written rules. You shook your head despite your curiosity.

"I'll ask him later," you turned back to Violet and continued wolfing down your mystery meat.

As you and your friend ventured outside you were quickly joined by none other than Charlie Dalton.

"Guys, come check this out!" he said enthusiastically. He slung his arm over your shoulder and you quickly grabbed Violet's hand. Charlie steered you towards the group of boys who were walking purposefully down the stairs.

Once you intercepted them, Charlie took the book out of Neil's hands and held it in your face. "Check this out! It's Mr.Keating! Captain of the soccer team, editor of the school annual, Cambridge bound, Thigh man, and the Dead Poets Society."

You took the annual into your own hands and studied the picture.

"Wow, he was very accomplished," Violet admired.

"Wait a minute, what's the Dead Poets Society?" You looked up at the faces of the boys inquisitively.

"That's what we're going to go figure out right now. Come on, let's go," Neil said excitedly. He held out his hands, non-verbally requesting the book back. You handed it to him and followed the group towards Mr. Keating.

"Mr. Keating?" Neil called from the front of the pack, but Mr. Keating didn't respond. "Mr. Keating? Sir?" Still it was to no avail.