xxi. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE!( EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE!
( EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. )

   CHARLIE STOOD UP once everyone else had settled down. He had his saxophone out, which you knew was one of the places he put a lot of emotional energy. Music was his escape.

"An original song composed by Nuwanda, for Neil," Charlie announced. You didn't roll your eyes at the nickname this time, you just smiled. Charlie began to play the saxophone, his fingers lightly clicking the golden keys. This song was unlike any other you'd heard him play. The music was a sound wave of emotion, one you knew he was capable of creating but you were still amazed. When he finished playing you just stared at him in awe.

"I didn't know you played," Keating commented. "That was beautiful." Everyone slowly started clapping, all awestruck.

"That was awesome, Charlie!" Knox cheered.

"I still can't believe you can do that," Pitts teased.

Charlie smiled proudly then sat back down beside you, not asking for praise but looking at you a little expectantly. You smiled and kissed his cheek. "Keating's right, it was beautiful."

"Thanks," he blushed, resuming his position with his arm around your shoulders. "Are you gonna read anything?"

"I think so," you said.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Get up there!" he pushed your upper back lightly.

"Okay, okay," you stepped up to the front and pulled a crumpled paper out of your coat pocket. "This isn't going to be an artful masterpiece like Todd's, it's more of a feeling than anything else," you started.

"Oh, c'mon! It'll be great, just read!" Charlie shouted. You smiled and looked back down at the paper.

"A letter to Neil:
I am writing to you from Earth,
with the ones you left behind,
sitting in the sleepless cemetery,
just trying to rest my mind.

There are some people
who are made of sunshine,
who give light without asking,
just know that you were mine.

Still, I'm speaking to the silence,
to the stuffy, silver air.
I can't speak you back to life,
I'm just wishing you were there.

I am writing to you from your grave,
where you left your body behind,
where a beautiful heart once laid,
behind a tortured mind."

Keating stood up and pulled you into another tight hug, you didn't even realize that you had started crying. You felt another pair of arms and immediately recognized them as Charlie's. Then more and more until you were all crowded around each other, some crying, some not. To be held and to hold was nothing short of the most comforting feeling. When you pulled back apart, Charlie whispered in your ear, "I told you it would be great."