seven | Small Gestures

small gestures

She was distracted, to say the least. For today's meeting, they were discussing the plans for the Winter Solstice meeting and party. Yes, an evening celebration that bonded the major and minor deities, usually wasting away with Dionysus' booze, and Hermes and Apollo's entertainment. She was uninterested simply because these celebrations weren't for her. Though, as the Goddess of Marriage, she mastered attending receptions and after-parties, she didn't particularly enjoy any of it. Another reason was her husband flirting with half of the attendees, leaving her in her usual sour manner.

The Olympians were busy arguing over who will be hosting the event. Every year, the host of the party changes, to be fair, but ironically, they settle with votes. Turning the word "fair" into "biased" in Hera's eyes.

This time, the King was present. With him attentively hosting the meeting, she started zoning at their pointless banters. The events that had occurred exhausted her greatly. At the least, she deserved some tranquility for a short time. The matters regarding the Winter Solstice can be solved on their own, unless, of course, they are indecisive in regards to the host of the celebration. Usually, she would be appointed as the host when they haven't agreed on anyone.

There was a hazy look on her face when Zeus glanced over to his wife. It was an odd picture when the description was partnered with her but it vanished as soon as it appeared and then she was already shooting him an emotionless expression.

The King did not look away as he observed his wife, disturbing it may appear. His children were having another argument when they proceeded on voting, nonetheless, the problem hasn't been solved.

"I do not see the purpose of voting when you're all against the nominees." For once, he was able to give good counsel. Apparently, the only people who weren't part of the arguments were Zeus and Hera. The Queen was silent for a reason as Zeus was appointed as the one leading the meeting, and this time, he would be the one to suffer a headache.

"Then, what is it that you want us to do, Father?" Ares questioned.

"Yes, everyone's particularly unwise when it comes to choosing the nominees," Demeter said.

"It would have been wise if we weren't using the same hosts from last year." Hephaestus gave his opinion.

"Why can't I host? I'm certain that I'm particularly good at hosting events." Hermes asked.

"You, Apollo, and Dionysus, you all play parts in the Winter Solstice party every year. It would look a tad bit unfair to those who haven't had a chance." Athena said intelligently.

Zeus was baffled at the occurrences in the meeting. He proceeded on massaging his forehead as he grasped the situation and attempted to think of a better solution for the matter.

The love goddess spoke up, surprising almost everybody in the room. Earlier, she was blabbering nonsense about who deserved the title of being the host and now, she settled on default, allowing her chosen to speak up for the first time ever since the meeting began. "Since none of us can agree on our nominees, I think it's best if we leave this to the Queen and appoint her as a host instead." Momentarily, she gazed at Hera with light in her eyes. Aphrodite was, no doubt, the goddess of beauty, and Hera could not help but adore her looks and become conscious of hers. And yet, the goddess looked hopeful when she addressed the Queen.

Everyone was silent and all of them were staring at Hera.

Unnerving silence it was as the Queen sat there without moving or speaking. At that point, the goddess of love and beauty started doubting herself and settled her eyes on the floor. Oh no... Did I say something wrong? She thought.