Michelle Harper

What is, like dust that constitutes my world?

        The sound of soft whispers in the distance and footsteps against the cold wooden floor woke her from her brief slumber. Slowly, her eyelids rose as a blur vision of her surroundings emerged; a classroom empty of students, teacher-less and cold.

        "What time is it?" She mumbled whilst rubbing her eye. Looking around, the sun was past its prime, which told her that the first day of school has ended. The bell rang minutes ago and she did not hear it, her slumber too deep for her to realize.

        Getting up, she noticed that the classroom had a few pieces of crumbled paper that made her groan and picked them up, then threw it at the rubbish bin. She heaved a heavy sigh as she left the room, an army of students in green greeted her and most of them had their own business to do - some chatting away, some just standing idly by in the hallways and some were already discussing the new semester ahead of them.

        "Hey." Someone called out from the other end of the hallway. She turned her head around and saw a hand waving at her that made her lips curve up. As she approached him, he walked past her which made her look over her shoulder, disappointment clear across her face.

        Reality had struck her, the truth that she was alone in a school of new faces to her. She sighed and walked past a few rows of students, who were either gossiping away or complaining about school. As she walked past everyone around her, no one seemed to recognise her, not even the same people she sat in class with just an hour ago.

        Sighing, she frowned and made her way to the back of the high school building, then finally to the main Janitor's closet. As she entered, a warm smile greeted her that made her smile as he stood up and hugged her. She returned the hug and he looked at her at arms-length, examining the expression on her face.

        "Everything okay? Anyone tried to bully you?" asked the man who was in his mid-fifties; his hair was receding as a few strands of grey stood out and his skin slightly sagged, a frown on his face.

        "I'll live, Mr. Branforth." She replied as he nodded.

        She walked past him and he looked at her, aware that she her spirit was drained. Mr Branforth could do nothing, but stare at his junior with laden eyes. Even though they only met a few weeks ago, he treated her like his own daughter.

        "Dear, will you be fine alone today?" asked senior Branforth, who was already prepared to retire for the night; his old fedora on his head with his cane on his right, he smiled lovingly at the young teen.

        "Yes, I will manage." The teen replied with a warm smile across her face.

        "Call me if anything happens, Michelle."

        With those words he left the room, leaving Michelle alone to think. This was not the first time this happened - being left alone to clean a whole Academy. Despite the massive size of the building and the compound, Michelle was more than capable to handle it herself.

        "Alright, Michie. Let's get this all done, so we can go home and study." She spoke out loud, reassuring herself that she could get it done by the time the clock strikes eight in the evening. She smiled wide as she took a mop and bucket-on-wheels, and then exited the janitor's closet.

        "First, the floor and the garden comes after." She spoke openly to none in particular, zipping up her overalls as she proceeded to dip the mop's head into the bucket filled with detergents.