Collateral

"Janitor."

            Michelle kept to herself, her heart on fire from disbelief as she heard Athena – the beautiful blonde she saw nearly dead last night – whisper as she sat on the empty desk beside her. With each passing second, Michelle found it hard to breathe as her heartbeat rang in her ears while her surroundings died down as if it was just the two of them in a room of forty or so students.

            Athena did a quick sweep of the room, the stench already nauseated her as a few guys tried to get her attention, but she brushed them off. Even though she still needed to recuperate from yesterday's... mishap, she could not afford to skip the second day of her school. Although in truth, she was not there to learn one plus one equals eleven.

            She had other plans in mind.

            "How are you?"

            Athena kept her head on the board as her eyes slid to the far edges of her eye sockets as if to get a glimpse of the janitor. Still shivering inside with so much uncertainty, Michelle waited for an answer out of her, but Athena did not respond. "Hey, how-"

            The bell rang and muffled her soft whisper. The room stood and left for the next class as a few girls and guys alike surrounded Athena like flies on top of garbage. Athena groaned mentally as she walked past the circle that surrounded her, her nose already clogging from their abhorrent scent – all of which she despised.

            "What a bitch."

            Athena did not care what they thought of her or anyone in particular. She was there for a reason, but the reason was something forced upon her. Ears plugged, she walked out the hallways as she eyed it from end to end; students in green, like frogs, converged together and ran their mouths like machine guns with unlimited ammo.

            Their stench irritated her with every fibre in her being and as she rounded the corner, she felt herself touched from behind. She stopped and waited for what would happen; a tall, brown-haired girl with hazel eyes stood in front of her, arms crossed with a million-dollar smile plastered across her face.

            Athena examined her; hair in a half pony with the prefect badge pinned on her breast pocket. Her stench was different – a good kind of different – but when she stopped her from walking, it got on her bad side.

            The tall prefect did a motion of removing invisible earpieces from her ears, which told Athena that she should do that. But she was not one to obey orders, so she refused and just kept staring the prefect down while the people around her disappeared into their classes just before the bell rang.

            "Well," the prefect mouthed as Athena just kept staring at her indifferently with her piercing blue gaze that should have hinted at the prefect that she would not budge. "I guess you better come with me to the counsellor's office."

            Athena mentally groaned as the prefect pointed the way with her arm and tried to hold her by the shoulder. Athena did not like being touched and had her hand in her pocket, already feeling the small dagger in it as if vexed by the presence of the prefect.

She wanted to jab her right in the abdomen just for stopping her in the hallway, but she held her anger in whilst she gripped on the handle of the dagger inside her pocket. Unable to contain her vex, she waited for her to touch her before she attacked.

            "There you are!"

            The prefect retracted her hand as she turned to where the call came from. Michelle took deep breaths as she approached the two; Athena removed her grip on the dagger as she studied the janitor as she approached her. Something was different from her too, although this one was far more... mysterious than the prefect was.