Inhibitions

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

        "Class dismissed."

        The bell rang even before the teacher dismissed the class, which made Michelle groan mentally as she struggled to stay awake on her feet. She had been out of it for two weeks now - ever since Athena had stopped attending classes.

        Ever since that night she went into her room, Michelle only convinced herself that Athena had actually blamed her for her wounds that would be scars by now. The night she jumped out of an eight-storey window puzzled her as much as she thought that Athena could have died from the height she jumped out of.

        For some time she thought that Athena actually injured herself from the fall, but somehow in the back of her head, she thought that she was not. She clung to the hope that she was alive because her consciousness would not be able to handle it.

        That day they ate silently on the bleachers often came to her mind, believing that there was something between them. She wanted to believe that - that she finally got a friend of her own. But when Athena did not show up the next day, she felt torn at the thought of it.

        Had she already lost a new friend?

        Michelle sighed as she proceeded to the cafeteria for lunch on a Friday, hoping to lull herself to more sleep but she recalled today was Fun Friday. The entertainment today composed of one band, one comedic act, and one short video of a random series on Fox, all in just an hour. As she walked past the double doors of the cafeteria, she found the whole room already swarming with green-coated teenagers.

        "Heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy folks," the emcee spoke through the microphone as the whole room burst into cheers and caught Michelle off-guard which made her jump slightly, but despite the sudden wake up call, she did not feel the excitement they all felt. She felt her energy collapse underneath her feet as if she needed a quiet place to think. About what, she did not know.

        With a deep sigh, she turned about and passed through the same double doors, and as she left the cafeteria, she bumped into someone. She lost her footing, but luckily the person she bumped into caught her by the hand and pulled her onto her feet.

        "Woah, there."

        "Thanks and sorry." Michelle said a little dispirited as she looked up to who caught her and to her surprise it was a familiar pair of hazel eyes that greeted her, accompanied by a radiant smile on her face.

        "Michelle, right?" The hazel-eyed prefect asked her as she took a step back to give her some space; her long hair cascaded down her shoulders as she brushed her fringe to the side and showed more of her beautiful hazel eyes.

        "Yeah, that's uh, me." Michelle replied softly as she looked around where people whispered.

        "Not in trouble today are we?" The prefect asked as the crowd around her dispersed and went into the loud cafeteria that already called on the band to play on the make-shift stage.

        "No, I'm just trying to find a quiet place."

        "Well, it's not here apparently." She chuckled as she checked her wristwatch that had an hourglass face inside, that intrigued Michelle as she examined it further.

        "Nice watch." Michelle spoke involuntarily as she covered her mouth.

        "Thanks, the council president gave it to me." She chuckled lightly and smiled as she eyed Michelle's amber eyes. "Want me to let you in on a secret?"