The Recall

Art by Solaida on Deviantart (https://www.deviantart.com/zolaida/art/Overwatch-Mercy-612769170)

Disclaimer: I wrote this before the announcement for Overwatch 2 and I think before the mission Storm Rising so some facts might be wrong. I modified a few things when Storm Rising came in but I did not feel like changing all my chapters when Overwatch 2 cinematic was published. So, I'm sorry if it does not follow the last element of the story we know.

Anyway, enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________

"Doctor Ziegler, we need help over here!" someone with a white jacket screamed from afar, calling the doctor for help with a patient. The blonde medic ran to them with her doctor's asset. She examined the sick man on the bed. She rearranged her ponytail before giving orders to others. "Wait, Doctor Ziegler! You're not going to do surgery here? There's no way you can do it if we're not in the hospital in a surgery room!"

"This man isn't going to survive if we're not doing something now," she simply answered, putting a mask and surgical gloves. People she gave orders to came back with what she needed and readied themselves to help her with the surgery.

The other doctor tried his best to resonate with the blonde but she just concentrated on the patient. In the end, he gave up and decided to help, knowing that nothing could make her change her mind. It was a really hot day and they were located in a large tent in the plain desert. Angela Ziegler and some other volunteers came to this country where wars raged everywhere. They came to help civilians and victims of violent wars. It had been months already and the wars were as violent as ever.

Doctor Ziegler was once part of Overwatch, an organization created to help people and who fought during the Omnic crisis. However, Overwatch fall after they faced many crises and after a fight between the commanders of Overwatch and Blackwatch which was followed by an explosion triggered in the headquarters in Switzerland. Both of them were declared dead in the explosion and Overwatch was shut down. All activities within the name of Overwatch were made illegal by the law. Agents who were once seen as heroes were now feared and hated worldwide. After the shutdown, they went on, living their lives and minding their own business. Some became criminals but the agents that stood up the most in the past continued saving the world their own way.

"Congratulation, Doctor Ziegler. You did really well," the blonde was praised at her success of saving the man's life. She thanked them and congratulated everyone for their hard work before she went back to her tent to rest a little. She sat down on a chair and drank some water when someone came in running with a letter. She took it from them and looked at it to see it was from someone unexpected. They did not talk for years but she just received some news from him. She smiled and hurried to open it.

"Dear Doctor Ziegler,

I hope you're doing well. I've been living with the Shambali for a while now. We had not been in contact for years and I wanted to send you a letter to let you know how I was.

Well, to be honest, it's my master, Zenyatta, who forced me to. And I'm happy I took the courage to write to you after leaving you behind. I heard you were busy in a war zone. I hope everything is alright for you and you're unharmed.

Maybe one day, we'll be able to see each other again.

Keep saving lives,

Genji"

"I'm glad he's doing fine." She stared at the letter for a while, thinking about him and their time at Overwatch. Just as she was setting down the piece of paper, a message came from her computer. She turned to it and noticed it was from the Overwatch Emergency signal. Her eyes opened wide at the sight. Did someone try to recall the group? For her, Overwatch was dead and it was better that way. However, she did open the message to see a video of Winston calling all agents for help. She listened carefully to what he said until the end. Once it was finished, she sat there, motionless and lost in her thought. Many questions passed through her mind: Was it a good idea to call everyone? Should she go back and see? Should she just ignore them and the problem that was still present everywhere in the world? She thought about her position, about her condition; about the world's condition. She glanced once more at the screen where Overwatch's logo was showing. After a while, she stood up and walked away in search of her superior.