First Mission

Fanart by Nocluse on Deviantart! (https://www.deviantart.com/nocluse/art/Genji-Redux-679002435)

________________________________________________________

Almost a month has passed since the Doctor came back. Nobody came after that. The head members of Overwatch were all grouped for a meeting of the highest importance. It was time for the members to go on a mission.

"So it's decided then," said Winston with a long sigh. "We will send agents McCree, Genji, Tracer, and Doctor Ziegler for this mission. It's an infiltration mission so no rush. We just need to gather information."

"Won't it be better if I go alone on this?" suddenly blurted out the ninja. "I'm the one whose aptest for this kind of mission. I don't say that the others are not capable but if we're caught..."

"I see what you mean Genji," answered the monkey back. "But we can't let you go alone for this one."

"Why's that?" The scientist hesitated and glanced at Morrison next to him as if he was asking for help. The Japanese man sighed and shook it off. "I understand. Then, let's get ready."

After getting over the tasks they had to do for the mission, they all parted and went to their respective room. The members who were leaving prepared their stuff and gears to leave in two days. Some excitement was felt as well as anxiety. They had not done something like that for a while, at least as a team. The danger was always behind them.

The day of the mission arrived. It was noon and they had to meet at the plane on the rooftop. They all arrived more or less at the same time and were greeted by both Morrison and Winston.

"So, it's time, uh," said the scientist. "Be careful out there."

"Alright, Big Guy! No need to be so formal! We'll be back before y'all notice!" the cheerful British woman reassure them of their safety which made the 'Big Guy' smile.

They entered the ship, all geared up for the mission. They consulted beforehand for the type of gear they would have to wear; as it was a stealth mission, there was no way Mercy could take a shiny white armor so they had to make a new one, darker, so they would get caught immediately. Angela felt weird wearing black armor, she always had this white one after all. In her opinion, it made her look like a bad person. Genji noticed her frown when she looked at her and placed a hand on her shoulder to reassure her. "It's only for a night. Besides, you look great."

The Doctor looked up and gave a small smile. "Still, it feels weird. I've never worn anything like this."

"You look like an evil witch in this," McCree joked around with a smirk and got stares as an answer to his bad joke. "What I wanted to say," he started over after clearing his throat. "It's not the armor that makes the person so you should not worry."

At that Angela smiled and nodded. She stood up to go see Tracer, their pilot, as she wanted to know how much time was left for the trip. Only the two ex-Blackwatch members were left. It was silence for a while and the atmosphere felt very awkward for quite some time. Genji hesitated to start the conversation with his former college and he started to feel nervous by the situation as he felt more and more awkward. As he resolved himself to start the conversation, the cowboy opened his mouth.

"I thought you'd never come back, Genji. After everything that happened."

"So did I. I heard from Echo that you didn't want to come back at first."

"She can't keep her mouth shut, can she?" He chuckled a bit and looked back at the cyborg. "So, how was life? Where you'd been at?"

"In Nepal. I learned to be at peace with myself there. What about you?"