42

amari bounces her knee anxiously in the car and cracks her knuckles, staring out the window as she drives through new orleans to the airport. today was the day; new year's eve, aka the day ben was flying her out to see him.

amaris a bundle a nerves as her mom drive her to the airport. she didn't know what she was going to say to ben regarding the way he avoided her or how she was going to bring up him cheating. it all felt like too much.

donteia puts a hand on amaris knee to settle her and amari flicks her eyes to her mom, taking a deep breath. "sweetie, you don't have to go," her mom offers. she'd been supportive all week, mostly due to the way amari was contemplating this day for the entire week. if ben made her stress like this, then the answer was obvious. amari just had to see for herself.

"if daddy asks where i went, tell him i went home," amari says, ignoring her moms previous statement. a majority of her family left a few days ago, everyone but the twins' family. they expected her to stay for new years, but she lied and said that something came up at work and she had to be there. she couldn't stand to tell her family that she was ditching them for dick.

"i know, i know. i'm the one who created this plan!" donteia says, turning onto the exit that takes them directly to the airport.

amari chuckles then sighs and leans against the window. she wouldn't even be seeing ben until late because he played the pacers at 3 o'clock and most likely would be back in philly at around 9. from there amari would attend the party at bens house and shed find a way to talk to him about the cheating situation. obviously, her plan was rusty. she'd have too much time alone in philly to think, and who knows what she'd do.

they round the corner and the airport comes into view. amari bites the inside of her cheek as her mother pulls through the toll and takes a right turn towards the airlines. amari sighs through her nose and cracks her knuckles against her knees.

her mom pulls her car up to the curb and they both get out and amari grabs her bags from the back, her heart racing. she didn't have to take the flight, it's not like she's the one who payed for it. ben did, willingly.

but that'd be rude and another long conversation they'd have to have, and amari wasn't up for that. shes not sure she could handle that on top of what they had to talk about later.

"you gon be okay, baby?" her mom asks, leaning against the door. she saw right through amari and could tell she was doubting going.

amari shrugs. "we'll see. i'll call you when i get there. i love you," amari says, wrapping her arms around her mom and sighing.

her mom hugs her back, but let's go early and gently unlatches amari from her body. "you need to go," her mom says, chuckling. amari slightly smiles and grabs her bags. "i love you! you'll be okay." her mom yells as amari starts walking away. amari waves and enters the airport, knowing that it was either now or never.

-

"alright... okay.... i love you, mom. bye," amari hangs up and slides her phone in her pocket and watches the baggage carousel for her suitcase. she landed in philly 15 minutes ago, but was only released from the plane a few moments ago.

she sees her bags circle around and quickly runs to pull them off of the carousel. she gets both and wheels them over to a bench and calls ben. he shouldn't be playing yet because it was 1:30.

after a few rings, he picks up. "you make it?"

"yes," amari says, a small smile on her face. she hated how, even after all the stress hs put on her, he was still able to make her smile by something as simple as his voice.