*Chapter One* {Fool Me Once}

⚜

Damon never loved Katherine. By the time she arrived in Mystic Falls he was already spoken for by someone far more beautiful and far more powerful.

Viktoria.

Viktoria arrived in Mystic Falls a few years before Damon joined the Confederacy. Instantly Damon was infatuated with her. Nobody knew where she came from or what her story was. Her beauty along with the mystery of who she was drew him in.

He fell for her and he fell hard. Despite trying to keep her distance, Viktoria felt herself reciprocating those feelings. Her love for him and his love for her made them both feel invincible, until they weren't.

September 25th, 1864 is a day that still haunts Damon. A day when his entire world turned upside down. The day he didn't only lose his life but the day he lost the love of his life, his wife and best friend.

Even 145 years later the pain of losing his wife as fresh as if he lost her the previous day. Once he found out that there was a possibility at getting her back, no matter how slim, he did everything possible to make it happen.

This brings him to tonight - December 12th, 2009.

"Air. Earth. Fire." Sheila Bennett says as she lights three torches. Damon stood with his brother, Stefan, off to the side waiting impatiently for them to do the desired spell.

"Water" Bonnie says holding up a bottled water. She hands it to her grandmother who begins spreading it on the ground.

"That's it?" Elena asks frowning her eyebrows. "Just water from the tap?"

"As opposed to what?" Sheila asks with a small grin. Elena instantly blushes becoming slightly flustered.

"i just figured maybe it would have to be blessed or mystical or something" Elena admits. Sheila shakes her head slightly a small grin still on her face.

"What's that?" Stefan questions his brother as he pulls something out of his jacket. Damon holds it more into the light. It's a blood bag.

"It's for Vik" Damon tells him smirking. While he was trying to keep it cool and keep his reputation together it was hard. All he wanted to do was shout in excitement and urge the witches to work quicker. "Gotta give her something to get her going." He then glances at Elena. "Unless your girl's offering a vein to tap"

Elena rolls her eyes in annoyance and looks away from him. Damon's grin deepens before he looks back at his brother. He could tell that Elena isn't the only one annoyed with him but he didn't care. If he had to annoy and piss off everyone in the world in order to get his wife back, he'd do so willingly.

"Admit it" Damon whispers leaning closer to his brother. "You can't wait to get rid of me" He wiggles his eyebrows. Stefan chuckles under his breath.